Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    TAK likes the down hoods? When did that happen?
    Wasn't always the case. I started playing the hammock game with a Rock Wren because I had trouble staying warm with my rayway quilt. I diagnosed the difference as inadequate head insulation with the quilt. Rock Wrens are great, IMO, but a No Sniveler/JRB hood is just as warm and about five or so ounces lighter. The Jacks posted several times that I needed to try their hood, they were right. Making a down vest that I can attach that hood to is an upcoming project.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

JRB Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    the JRB hood when attached to any shirt/vest/jacket collar give you this super warm head cover that a full hoded bag does but retains the ease and simplicity of a top quilt.... and it moves with you, staying in proper position no matter how you move....far better that turning etc when in a hooded bag.
    Pan
    I never understood why someone would need it.
    But as a side sleeper who rolls around a lot at night, now I understand.
    This would be good for those who have bags with out hoods (like some of the Big Anes bags) and who toss & turn all night.
    OK, sometimes I'm slow at catching on.
    Thanx Pan.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i've found out that if it's cold enough to be really cold my care about comfort falls way off the chart. if it's not cold enough to be really cold i care about comfort.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    BB58,et al,

Not to steal TAK's frequent battle cry about the JRB Down Hood, but the JRB hood when attached to any shirt/vest/jacket collar give you this super warm head cover that a full hoded bag does but retains the ease and simplicity of a top quilt.... and it moves with you, staying in proper position no matter how you move....far better that turning etc when in a hooded bag.

Pan
    I have no doubt it would be exactly as you say! I have not used a hood ATTACHED to a vest yet. But on the recent Sipsey trip- the one where it came a good snow- I was using my very light PG jacket and hood with a separate quilt and MWUQ. Now, as it is light AND PG, this hood is not all that thick. Still, I was a bit surprised that when I woke up about 2A.M. to take a leak, I realized that I was just a tad cold on top. I think it was forecast to be 27*F, and of course it was quite humid.

So, I had a separate Marmot Dryloft down sleeping bag hood with me( well over 2.5" loft). I don't even know why I brought it sense it was to be well above 20. But I put it on and crawled back into the BMBH. In no time at all I was not only no longer cold, but luxuriously warm. A huge dif! ( I was surprised at the magnitude of the dif, as I already had the jacket hood on, though it was no where near as thick as the Marmot hood.) I can only figure this would work even better if attached by Velcro (or whatever) to a vest.

It is a little heavy though- and maybe over kill- so I plan on looking into one of those JRB hoods. And the ability to turn under a quilt and have the hood turn with you, without having to turn the entire mummy bag with it's compressed bottom layer of down now turned up, is much appreciated.

Bottom line: a true mummy bag equivalent hood is a major boost to warmth, whether used on a mummy bag or dded to a quilt. But the quilt/hood combo is way more comfortable for most of us, I suspect.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    Personally, while I'm standing in the opening to my HH, I step into my bag like a pair of pants, pull it up around my shoulders, then lie back and pull in my feet...I'm IN the bag.
    I've gotten pretty good at prelaying my bag zipper open in my HH. (1) set through the opening directly onto midpoint of the open bag, (2) pull up feet and ditch boots, (3) swing feet over into footbox and grab zipper, (4) pull, (5) wiggle, (6) pull and set shoulders & collar.

Probably gonna have to work till I get to sit on Santa's lap again before I get to try a quilt. Too warm in the south these days anyway to worry about it. 4x6 fleece quilt is all that is called for over the next half year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL, Several DIYs
    Tarp
    10x10 Granite Gear
    Insulation
    HammockGear Burrow
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I find the easiest method for me is to leave the bag zipped up and just bunch it up at my feet and wiggle it on like a tight pair jeans. That way i dont have to bother with zippers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234