Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images

insulation insulation...

Sooo thinking more and more about making myself a quilt (and less and less about my schoolwork...)

I am thinking of making something that could be versatile: a rectangle with drawstrings on both ends and maybe omnitape up the side so I could use it as a sleeping bag/quilt or cinch it up as an underquilt for a hammock...

So... looking at thru-hiker's climashield xp insulation: two weights are listed, 2.5 oz to 40 degrees, and 5 oz. to 20 degrees. Somehow, I'm just not trusting their temperature ratings

Can anybody who's used this give me advice?

How warm will the 2.5 oz really be as a top quilt? As an underquilt?
    And the 5 oz? As a top quilt? As an underquilt?

(And if as an underquilt, let's assume I'm using a 40 degree bag as a top quilt)

I'm a cold sleeper : o )

Thanks!
    NLT

Images
    I have made a 5oz XP quilt as a top quilt, and my coldest night with it was in the low 20s, unfortunately on the ground. It was at the limit of what the quilt is good for, partly because it is very narrow.

The quilt has kept me plenty warm in a hammock in the high 20s/low 30s. Typically, I will wear smartwool and light fleece if it is that cold.

I think I am a fairly warm sleeper.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I am a cold sleeper, and I have gone to 16*F using a single layer 5oz Climashield XP top quilt, and a Custom single layer 5oz Climashield XP Under Quilt, that also had another layer on my butt and shoulders. I was wearing 2 pairs of cotton socks, jeans, white undershirt, and a fleece jacket. My top quilt is awesome, and keeps me plenty warm all the time.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    HH HLB & AR
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG down quilt
    Images
    Ayce over @ Thru-Hiker has always struck me as a knowledgeable and trustworthy guy, but YMMV.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to take a look through the forum section on the site in Gearmakers Lounge as I think I recall him replying to questions about synthetic insulation.

Or... search BPL. Gardenville (also a member here) has contributed a great quantity of detailed info about Climashield et al to make your head hurt.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    sweet--thanks for the info guys. insulation talk gets a little mind boggling if you let it run away with you. Just wanted some concise personal experiences : o )

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Also, we have worked with the 3.7oz Combat, but for 1.3oz more, the 5oz makes a great quilt with very little weight penalty. But for summer use, the 3.7oz would be plenty.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts