WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable

Adirondack, 7 Days, hammock friendly ?

I would really appreciate your input guys..

Not knowing a whole lot about the Adirondack Trail.. and while i research the internet for info..

Is pretty much the whole Adirondack Trail hammock friendly ? My brother and I want to hike between 50-100 km in about 8 days and we are looking for a trail.. the Adirondack came up but we are open to others options..

1) Can we hammock camp anywhere on the Adirondack ? (are we forced to stop at designed camp spot?).
    2) We like/need to make fire at night.. hangin' around a camp fire and such.. is it possible at all in that trail ?

We enjoy a little bit of solitude and NOT be in crowded camping spot. if pretty much all "degnisated" spots are over-crowded, we may end up doing a 100% wild (no trail) wilderness trip

Would you recommand that destination for 2 Montrealers (canada) that want to hike and hammock camp for 7-8 days ?

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Do you have a link to the "Adirondack Trail"? The only trail I can find with that name is a scenic driving route. In some areas of the Daks an approved bear canister must be used.
    Solitude, campfires, & hammocking are all possible, it just depends on where you go.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Do you mean the Northville-Placid trail?

http://www.nptrail.org/

Mostly in the woods, designated sites on the trail as well as you can camp anywhere on state land with some restrictions that are also good practices. The land is similar to Algonquin as far as trees and rocks so no trouble hanging. Get a map and trail guide, off the shelf items in most stores there. The advantage of designated sites is there is usually a privy and water.

I did not see a fire ban this year. It can be pretty wet there so there probably is not one.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Jerzybears were just on the Northville lake Placid trail hammocking all the way.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37828
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie,Dutch
    We did 4 days in the Pharaoh Wilderness, with plenty of places to hang at shelter sites, usually with fire rings and sometimes with privies. We always hung at a pond. It was really great and I am sure you could extend the days there . You can check my post http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ilderness+hike

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The adirondacks were designed for hammocks. Often the designated camping areas are more tent friendly than hammcok friendly; but not always. This is more true in the heavily used areas. You can "camp" in non-designated areas in most areas of the Adirondacks as long as you are 150' away from water or trails. As we all know hammocks are great for leave-no-trace. If you make a fire you will need to be in a designated site with a fire-ring. Some areas of the Adks (Eastern HP region) prohibit fires entirely. Where in the 6 million acres of the adks were you looking to hike/camp? There are plenty of trails which are perfect for your 50-100km trip.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    Do you have a link to the "Adirondack Trail"? The only trail I can find with that name is a scenic driving route. In some areas of the Daks an approved bear canister must be used.
    Solitude, campfires, & hammocking are all possible, it just depends on where you go.
    Actually, i dont have a link.. i just heard "adirondack trail" was something like the Appalachian trail... a huge hikeable trail pretty much (really lack of info on this one).

I really hope to NOT have to carry a huge bear canister where ever we will go.. i counting grams from gear in my ULA and I guess a canister is heavy!

Solitude, campfires, hammocking, hiking, 7-8 days... really is the goal
    We are just clueless on where to go.. if something better come up on this forum, the destination will change in a heart beat..

We got 2 weeks left before going on that unknown destination.. it started to rush to find a destination unfortunatly

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Do you mean the Northville-Placid trail?

http://www.nptrail.org/

Mostly in the woods, designated sites on the trail as well as you can camp anywhere on state land with some restrictions that are also good practices. The land is similar to Algonquin as far as trees and rocks so no trouble hanging. Get a map and trail guide, off the shelf items in most stores there. The advantage of designated sites is there is usually a privy and water.

I did not see a fire ban this year. It can be pretty wet there so there probably is not one.
    That would be kinda unpleasent to arrived from a 20km trek to find someone else already installed in the aimed designated site! I dont do trail often, I always go off trail, on survival trip or 100% wild camping spot.

Privy and water.. with a no-ban for fire... that already sound awesome

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    thank you for the links Veto 65 and jpkeo .. as soon as i finish reading here i'll go read all there is on hammock forums about it

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    The adirondacks were designed for hammocks. Often the designated camping areas are more tent friendly than hammcok friendly; but not always. This is more true in the heavily used areas. You can "camp" in non-designated areas in most areas of the Adirondacks as long as you are 150' away from water or trails. As we all know hammocks are great for leave-no-trace. If you make a fire you will need to be in a designated site with a fire-ring. Some areas of the Adks (Eastern HP region) prohibit fires entirely. Where in the 6 million acres of the adks were you looking to hike/camp? There are plenty of trails which are perfect for your 50-100km trip.
    while I was answering this thread, i came up with the idea that we could shorten the lenght (km) and camp 2-3 days at a "nice" spot if we find one.. get some rest before finishing the trek.

Where in the 6mils acres... I have no clue at all.. we are coming from Montreal, Canada so I guess the closest trail past Plattsburgh but sky is the limit really (even if not-too-far would be great)

My #2 problem with this expedition is: where
    My #1 problem with this expedition is: logistic

logistic 1: something that could drop us 50-100km away from our please-god-secured-parking-spot at the beggining of the trip, then we can hike 7-8 days in direction of our car

logistic 2: find a trail that goes round and came back to the goal/car

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    thank you for the links Veto 65 and jpkeo .. as soon as i finish reading here i'll go read all there is on hammock forums about it

while I was answering this thread, i came up with the idea that we could shorten the lenght (km) and camp 2-3 days at a "nice" spot if we find one.. get some rest before finishing the trek.

Where in the 6mils acres... I have no clue at all.. we are coming from Montreal, Canada so I guess the closest trail past Plattsburgh but sky is the limit really (even if not-too-far would be great)

My #2 problem with this expedition is: where
    My #1 problem with this expedition is: logistic

logistic 1: something that could drop us 50-100km away from our please-god-secured-parking-spot at the beggining of the trip, then we can hike 7-8 days in direction of our car

logistic 2: find a trail that goes round and came back to the goal/car

You will likely have to drive an hour or so past Plattsburgh to find a good location. "Big Loops" are hard to come by, but some in the 40-50km range are easily found. All of which provide numerous spur trails to add distance and to see desirable locations. I was just telling someone about a loop I was looking at which is just under 50km. I have hiked most of the trails on the loop before, but never in one piece. This loop also provides for some mountain climbs as well (unmarked trails though) and one can take other marked side trails too. The trailhead is approx here: 44.191867,-74.265275

Do you have access to trail maps in the adks? I can give you better suggestions with something for you to look at. Or I can email you some screenshots of trail maps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast