Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    jpkeo, I just read your trip around Pharaoh Lake.. can you please elaborate a little on this sentence

"I was leary about leaving my car on the road for 4 days and so elected to use the Campground parking. It was $6/day"

Price is not a factor if i can get a more secured camping spot.. secure how ? the car parking is right at the center/main entrance of the pharaoh park ?

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    You will likely have to drive an hour or so past Plattsburgh to find a good location. "Big Loops" are hard to come by, but some in the 40-50km range are easily found. All of which provide numerous spur trails to add distance and to see desirable locations. I was just telling someone about a loop I was looking at which is just under 50km. I have hiked most of the trails on the loop before, but never in one piece. This loop also provides for some mountain climbs as well (unmarked trails though) and one can take other marked side trails too. The trailhead is approx here: 44.191867,-74.265275

Do you have access to trail maps in the adks? I can give you better suggestions with something for you to look at. Or I can email you some screenshots of trail maps.
    First, I don't have access to Adks maps beside what can be found on the internet for today.. i'll go check out what Mountain Coop Equipment have in stock for adks maps.

Also, I just checked the distance between Pharaoh Lake and its an easy 2hr 40 min drive from Montreal .. its in the range of distance i thought we would have to go at the beggining

We are zero, my brother and I, in regards to Mountain climbing but its still good info. If we end up going around in circle, its all good, as long as I don't go for 50km to the north, and came back south on the same 50km on the way back on the same exact trail

Im really open to 50km-ish LOOP suggestion

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie,Dutch
    "I was Leary about leaving my car on the road for 4 days and so elected to use the Campground parking. It was $6/day"

It was my paranoia about having my car vandalized. I have no actual reason to think that there would be a problem. As you drive into the campground there is free parking. In my planning it looked like the inside parking lot was closer to both the starting and stopping trailheads. The loop I planned was for 32 miles which I believe is about 50km. We had to drop a day because we had to start a day latter than planned. The trails are all well marked and the hike up to Pharaoh mountain was just up hill. No rock scrambles, except for the one drop on the way down. If you go to the park website you should be able to get a map.

Joe

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie,Dutch
    A good source of info with a map : http://www.cnyhiking.com/PharaohLakeWilderness.htm

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    My husband and I have been backpacking the Adirondacks since 1990. There are many places you can go to get your dose of wilderness. Unfortunately, if you are in the Eastern High Peaks you are gonna need that bear can. These can be rented on a daily basis from local outfitters. My favorite is the Mountaineer in Keene Valley. They have everything you need regardless of season.

I have never had a problem leaving a car for extended days, but if you are concerned, you can leave your car at the Adirondack Loj in the Placid area. They charge for parking but you get peace of mind and a place to shower when you get done.

My suggestion is to avoid Mt. Marcy at all costs because it is a highway of hikers up there. Instead, take the trail through Avalanche Pass to Colden Lake. From there, you have your choice of places to base camp and enjoy Algonquoin, Mt. Colden (breathtaking!) see the headwater of the Hudson River at Tear in the Clouds, or the exciting hurd path up Mt. Marshall. Any mountain in this area is good!!

I have never had difficulty hanging and while it is nice to have a leanto nearby to cook in would never consider sleeping in it when I have my comfy hammock. There are no fires allowed in the Eastern High Peaks so bring a stove. You MUST practice good food habits cause the bears come out like resident evil at night due to sloppy camping. One Canuck had his backpack carried off by a bear; it had his wallet and car keys inside!!

You should be able to snag a trail book from Mountain Equipment Co-op. Many Canadians enjoy their experience in our largest State Park on the Northeast. Do try to go and dont forget to post pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    once again, thank you all for your input!

My brother and I sat down and tried to decide between going to Pharaoh Lake (i gotta say i love the name) and doing a round trip around duke hole / cold river (i think its in the eastern high peaks if im not mistaken) We set on the cold river one and then, I just re-read the thread and woke up..

Its the exact spot (and one of the few) where its not allowed to make fire at all ??? dont get me wrong, i got the gear, alky stoves and all but making fire is good for many thing (psychological comfort, food, warmth, etc..) its the wilderness TV after all!

1) am I wrong about the place.. is it the NO-FIRE zone ?

2) did i just noticed i'll be forced to carry a donkey kong barrel to keep bears out of my food ? (is it the same spot where we have no choice to carry a canister?)

My brother and I thank you in advance for your informations, help and support... really help planning our soon-to-come trip (who, btw will be well documented with photos)

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    once again, thank you all for your input!

My brother and I sat down and tried to decide between going to Pharaoh Lake (i gotta say i love the name) and doing a round trip around duke hole / cold river (i think its in the eastern high peaks if im not mistaken) We set on the cold river one and then, I just re-read the thread and woke up..

Its the exact spot (and one of the few) where its not allowed to make fire at all ??? dont get me wrong, i got the gear, alky stoves and all but making fire is good for many thing (psychological comfort, food, warmth, etc..) its the wilderness TV after all!

1) am I wrong about the place.. is it the NO-FIRE zone ?

2) did i just noticed i'll be forced to carry a donkey kong barrel to keep bears out of my food ? (is it the same spot where we have no choice to carry a canister?)

My brother and I thank you in advance for your informations, help and support... really help planning our soon-to-come trip (who, btw will be well documented with photos)

Your loop along the Cold River and around the Seward Range is in the Western High peaks Region (the boundary is the ridgeline west of Indian Pass).

Only the eastern high peaks region prohibits fires and requires bear canisters.

Have fun and make some fire!

hi everyone, im the brother
    im beggining to love this forum hehe. just wanted to thank DuctTape and everyone for their input.. keep them coming. It is really helpful to plan this vacation in somewhat of a short notice.
    We will be documenting that trip with many photos and even some videos when we get back. Cant wait! im counting the days before sept 4th

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Its really not vital but.. Do you guys get any cell tower signal in the high peaks? I am concidering a spot connect since the gf need to know if i was eaten by a bear.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    For what you want avoid the Adirondak Loj. It's the jumping off point for the High Peaks. The eastern high peaks is the high traffic area with all the restrictions due to all the tourists. The rest has significantly less traffic and less hassle. School is going back into session so there will be even less traffic now. Your biggest hassle is then private land. Usually not hard to avoid as it's usually marked by the owners to tell you to keep out. ;-) Designated camping spots exist mostly in high traffic areas to control devastation by ignorant folks. You will also find unmarked informal spots in many areas. You can use the trails and lean to sites or go off trail where it looks good and be on your own. You will probably find the lean to sites a better option as they will be empty and have everything handy.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Here is another map link. You really need something like the ADK book and map that covers the area. I would trust the ADK more than other sources. YMMV.
    http://www.cnyhiking.com/PharaohLakeWilderness.htm

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast