Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

How to combine UQ with HH SS

I am sure this has probably been addressed before, please pass on th elink if it has. I am interested in picking up my first UQ. I've used my HH SS till now and find it a little cool still. But as I don't do much winter camping, I am wondering if I picked up say an AHE Lost River if I could use it with my SB and UP along with the UC. And for bonus points, if this is doable, what order do I layer?

I assume it goes me/hammock/UQ/SB/UP/UC.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnoo4...zkSQ9Q&index=7

the part about the supershelter starts at 6:05!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    I am sure this has probably been addressed before, please pass on th elink if it has. I am interested in picking up my first UQ. I've used my HH SS till now and find it a little cool still. But as I don't do much winter camping, I am wondering if I picked up say an AHE Lost River if I could use it with my SB and UP along with the UC. And for bonus points, if this is doable, what order do I layer?

I assume it goes me/hammock/UQ/SB/UP/UC.
    I'd think more like me/hammock/SB/UP/UC/UQ or maybe sb/up/uq/uc but you will need the SB right up against the hammock to keep it warm(for low condensation) and to keep any condensation out of the other layers.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Thanks for the input!

Thanks Newton and BillyBob. As I see it it will go Me/Hammock/SB/UP/UQ/UC. Sound right? Now for the question, is there a different order for down? And does anyone place anything between them and their hammock (nylon doesn't seem to sound as comfy as silk or flannel or even cotton)?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'd think more like me/hammock/SB/UP/UC/UQ or maybe sb/up/uq/uc but you will need the SB right up against the hammock to keep it warm(for low condensation) and to keep any condensation out of the other layers.
    This is the time tested order for using a UQ with the SS. Jacks' R Better makes a UQ called the Nest, which should fit nicely inside of the UC. However, they explicitly advise against that because of condensation. BillyBob likely has the most experience with the SS on the forum, and JRB isn't making a wild guess. This condensation is why BillyBob is saying to have the SB closest to you--you will likely get wet.

Adding another Underpad, patches of open cell foam (OCF), or clothing is better with the SS than a UQ. Even a Thermarest Z-Seat would boost your insulation on the SS. The Undercover makes the SS a system that is unfriendly to goose down, and putting a UQ on the outside negates the value of the silnylon.

Another experiment, would be to dispense the silnylon UC altogether and do this order from inside to out:

Hammock, Underpad, Underquilt.

Down needs to breath, allowing condensation to evaporate. Omitting the UC should allow this and keep you dry. Don't underestimate the warmth from a good UQ augmented with closed cell foam (CCF).
    Last edited by Trooper; 08-20-2011 at 20:24.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Very interesting, Trooper.

Hmm, for simplicity, that last suggestion makes sense and I think I'll try it first. Using the UP and UQ together should provide enough warmth that the other (potential condensators) items may be unnecessary. And both would be very breathable. Now I need some input as to which UQ is best. I liked the Lost River, but with $50 shipping I'm willing look at the others. I'm as short guy (5'6") so a 2/3 or 3/4 would be fine (in fact I sleep kind of fetal so the length may not be a problem). So what to get?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    Hmm, for simplicity, that last suggestion makes sense and I think I'll try it first. Using the UP and UQ together should provide enough warmth that the other (potential condensators) items may be unnecessary. And both would be very breathable. Now I need some input as to which UQ is best. I liked the Lost River, but with $50 shipping I'm willing look at the others. I'm as short guy (5'6") so a 2/3 or 3/4 would be fine (in fact I sleep kind of fetal so the length may not be a problem). So what to get?
    wilderness logics makes some pretty nice stuff. anything over 75 ships free to the US. im not sure what it would cost for canada but its worth looking at man.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts