Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    For gram weenies..er...ultra light backpackers(), they reduce weight and bulk.
    Consider myself weight conscious more than a gram weenie. No functional scale to accurately weigh the gear. Problem of being a relatively light & small person. The same gear is proportionally a higher % of my lean body mass. Another advantage of dynaglide is cost per foot. Relatively meaning less compared to the absolute costs. The bottom line is I rather carry some extra treats to eat than gear.

Regarding the op: ~6" bury lengths have worked fine. Just remember to milk the line before climbing into the hammock!
    Noel V.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I'm new to all this, and by no means an expert on whoopie slings. Would it be feasable to just suggest to everyone to put a slippery half hitch in the tag end?I would not think it would even have to be cinched tight, just there in case of slippage. Would that pose any problems?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Consider myself weight conscious more than a gram weenie. No functional scale to accurately weigh the gear. Problem of being a relatively light & small person. The same gear is proportionally a higher % of my lean body mass. Another advantage of dynaglide is cost per foot. Relatively meaning less compared to the absolute costs. The bottom line is I rather carry some extra treats to eat than gear.

Regarding the op: ~6" bury lengths have worked fine. Just remember to milk the line before climbing into the hammock!
    Your last sentence likely matters more in accounting for failures of the whoopie when you are well within the safe range than the length of the bury within the range of what might be used.

But, about your confidence about your weight:

If it varied between what it is and zero with lots of time at zero, the unloaded splice might come apart, and when gravity kicked back in, the whoopie would fail within the constrictor; it would slide apart. Milking is important, but the splice expects to be in tension on both legs of the loop for constriction to remain. Zero gravity won't happen; but a difference between this adjustable splice and some others is that there is no back-up, as there is in the eye-splice that is part of the same sling, whether from locked brummel, several stitches or both.

I don't believe a whoopie which has been set a week ago, and not pre-stressed since-- just what might happen in a back-yard or home set-up -- would without doubt retain a hold on the bury. This is slippery stuff, and it creeps over time.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Opie, thank you so much.

OP, for what its worth, I've been using dyna glide with no issues for about 6 months. Many nights on the same set with no issues. I am 185ish lbs. I do an eye with locked brummel and 6" bury, then a 12" bury for the adjustable part.

The reason I prefer it over amsteel, is weight. Whatever demostix says about the 1.6oz per 100' being wrong, its still lighter than amsteel and THE lightest option for us hangers. If they fail with my body weight and I fall a foot or so, I think ill make it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I'm new to all this, and by no means an expert on whoopie slings. Would it be feasable to just suggest to everyone to put a slippery half hitch in the tag end?I would not think it would even have to be cinched tight, just there in case of slippage. Would that pose any problems?
    Knots don't hold well on amsteel and slippage is unlikely as long as the bury is milked. Another thing is, the weakest part of the whoopie sling is the area where the adjustable end exits the bury which is where the slippery half hitch would be and knots derate the strength of amsteel.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

If it varied between what it is and zero with lots of time at zero, the unloaded splice might come apart, and when gravity kicked back in, the whoopie would fail within the constrictor; it would slide apart. Milking is important, but the splice expects to be in tension on both legs of the loop for constriction to remain. Zero gravity won't happen; but a difference between this adjustable splice and some others is that there is no back-up, as there is in the eye-splice that is part of the same sling, whether from locked brummel, several stitches or both.
    Creep happens under load, and has a limit. Its not just the splice "setting," its also elongation of the line itself (stretch). Its called creep because it happens very slowly, and under load. What you are referring to here is, I think, a plain fixed eye coming undone under no load conditions. Generally a problem prior to loading the line, but usually once the line has been loaded, the splice area becomes quite stiff and the splice essentially locks itself. This is not to be taken as "you dont need to lockstitch a plain eye splice" as the stiffness can be worked out of the line and the bury can slip out. This is why the locked brummel is so preferred (IMO) over the stitched bury.

If the bury length is proper for the diameter of the cord being used, there is no need to back-up the adjustable loop. Simply make sure the outer braid is milked over the inner braid prior to loading.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    I don't believe a whoopie which has been set a week ago, and not pre-stressed since-- just what might happen in a back-yard or home set-up -- would without doubt retain a hold on the bury. This is slippery stuff, and it creeps over time.
    And I believe you would be wrong on this. The line will retain a firm hold on itself if left alone for say a week. Not only do I know this for a fact from when I pull my hammock out of its sack between uses, and the adjustable bury is still stiff, but from the 5/16 and 3/8 lines I use and repair where the bury area for the eye is stiff and sometimes needs to be cut apart.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Knots don't hold well on amsteel and slippage is unlikely as long as the bury is milked. Another thing is, the weakest part of the whoopie sling is the area where the adjustable end exits the bury which is where the slippery half hitch would be and knots derate the strength of amsteel.
    A back-up knot on the tail of the adjustable loop wouldnt effect the strength of the sling as the knot is not inline with the working part of the sling.

But knots do derate Synthetic lines more than organic fibers, and UHMWPE particularly, because it is so slippery the knot has the opportunity to pull itself tighter than it would in a natural fiber, or even poly or nylon.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    A back-up knot on the tail of the adjustable loop wouldnt effect the strength of the sling as the knot is not inline with the working part of the sling.

But knots do derate Synthetic lines more than organic fibers, and UHMWPE particularly, because it is so slippery the knot has the opportunity to pull itself tighter than it would in a natural fiber, or even poly or nylon.
    Thanks Opie. I thought he meant tying a half hitch with the adjustable end around the "standing end".
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-23-2011 at 20:38.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Thanks Opie. I thought he meant tying a half hitch with the adjustable end around the "standing end".
    He did, but it's still not load bearing, so derating isn't an issue.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    He did, but it's still not load bearing, so derating isn't an issue.
    I see, thanks OG

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast