Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

dynaglide whoopies

When you make whoopies using dynaglide, do you use the same bury lengths as you would with amstel
    Thanks

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    When you make whoopies using dynaglide, do you use the same bury lengths as you would with amstel
    Thanks
    No, you can make them shorter. The "official" guidelines on bury lengths from cord manufacturers specify them in terms of numbers of "fids", basically 1/22 of the cord's diameter.

Dyanglide's diameter is 2mm, 7/64" Amsteel is 2.8mm, so you can make
    a bury in dynaglide about 70% of that needed for 7/64" Amsteel.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The "official" guidelines on bury lengths from cord manufacturers specify them in terms of numbers of "fids", basically 1/22 of the cord's diameter.
    I think Grizz meant 22X the cord diameter.

So a fid for Dynaglide would be about 1-3/4". I think your bury should be 5 or 6 fids long. That said, I make a bury in Dynaglide about 5 or 6". Plenty strong, but use your own judgement.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Attached below are the specs for various cordage that I use. I've forgotten who first prepared this chart; but I find it very helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The chart, unfortunately, repeats errors, and gives a false impression of scientism in this. There's no documentation for any of it.

The Dynaglide weight is known to be wrong. It weighs closer to 2.6 oz per 100 feet. The Dynaglide breaking strength continues to be disputed, as there is no evidence for the number shown.

Why does this matter? Because all these materials barely float, with a specific gravity of .97, and once used enclose almost no air. Therefore, the diameters should all be proportional to the square root of the true weights, (and equally the weights should be proportional to the square of the diameters) whatever those true weights are. The true weight of Dynaglide as listed in this chart is certainly wrong. The others?

Ten or more years after wider use in nautical and maritime industries of these fibers in ropes, the recommendations for bury lengths from a major sailing organization increased, due to field experience with the intrinsicly slippery material.

Nothing wrong with following conservative guidelines. And that's what they are: guidelines, estimating for sufficient bury lengths. There is no need for more than 1 digit after the decimal and not even that decimal fraction if "conservative" is properly estimated. Anything wrong with forgetting the details and just using 8 inches? No.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-21-2011 at 10:15.

Thank you!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I haven't read much about dynaglide but am seeing more posts of people wanting to use it. What is the advantage over amsteel?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I haven't read much about dynaglide but am seeing more posts of people wanting to use it. What is the advantage over amsteel?
    For gram weenies..er...ultra light backpackers(), they reduce weight and bulk.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    The chart, unfortunately, repeats errors, and gives a false impression of scientism in this. There's no documentation for any of it.

The Dynaglide weight is known to be wrong. It weighs closer to 2.6 oz per 100 feet. The Dynaglide breaking strength continues to be disputed, as there is no evidence for the number shown.

Why does this matter? Because all these materials barely float, with a specific gravity of .97, and once used enclose almost no air. Therefore, the diameters should all be proportional to the square root of the true weights, (and equally the weights should be proportional to the square f the diamters) whatever those true weights are. The true weight of Dynaglide as listed in this chart is certainly wrong. The others?

Ten or more years after wider use in nautical and maritime industries of these fibers in ropes, the recommendations for bury lengths from a major sailing organization increased, due to field experience with the intrinsicly slippery material.

Nothing wrong with following conservative guidelines. And that's what they are guidelines, estimating for sufficient bury lengths. There is no need for more than 1 digit after the decimal and not even that decimal fraction if "conservative" is properly estimated.
    Half of the above has no bearing on proper bury length....

The other half has been addressed.

Weight per 100' is not a value used to determine fid length.

Specific gravity is not a value used to determine fid length.

Dutch and I both have given numbers regarding the failure point of dynaglide. And given our rudimentary tests were so different, but the numbers were essentially the same, then I think its fair to say the number is good.

The article you mentioned, here again regarding increased bury lengths in synthetic line, is not backed up with any proof, documentation or research. Interestingly enough, it has the same issues you seem to have regarding Dynaglide.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    I think Grizz meant 22X the cord diameter.

So a fid for Dynaglide would be about 1-3/4". I think your bury should be 5 or 6 fids long. That said, I make a bury in Dynaglide about 5 or 6". Plenty strong, but use your own judgement.

Jerry
    yep, Jerry's got it right.

explains why my tiny little buries don't hold
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast