HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS

Unhappy BIG TROUBLE with little suspension

just got back for a disaster camping/ hiking trip where my para/550 cord suspension that i used for my skeeter beeter failed TWICE. the first time it failed was at the gathering point at the foot of the hammock where there is one piece of cordage that runs through a groove then is tied with a regular knot. the knot pulled out how this happened has completly dumbfounded me cause ive never had one of these knots come out didnt even think it was possible. and then the second time it failed was with the 550 paracord tree straps. it snaped right where they come together. which left me on my but for the second time this night. so here is my problem im a LARGE man 6'1'' 360lbs and i love hangin but i keep running into wall after wall of issues with it, and to make things im a full time college student with a family so i cant just keep buying things and having them fail so if anyone can give me some GOOD advice about what to use and the weight limmits of things would be a big help for me. also one problem ive come to see with the skeeter beater pro is that when im in it the sides come up so far like 6'' that its really hard to get out of is this just the way this hammock is made or is all hammocks made this way. i know there is like a 4-5''extension pieces on each side where the netting is attached too then is attached to the rest of the hammock on the bottom i was wandering if that extension could be removed and the netting be reconnected to the main part of the hammock which would make it less deep and easyer to get in and out of. i know im asking for ALOT of advice but it is verr appreciated trust me.

thanks again to all who read and or respond

james

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You should not be using paracord. Not at 360 pounds or 160 pounds. The forces on you suspension are much more than your body weight. I suggest a good webbing or amsteel shoopie sling suspension.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Dutch meant Whoopie sling suspension They are made of amsteel and are rated for like 1600lbs as opposed to the 550lbs of paracord. Paracord also stretches because it is nylon. Cinch buckles and webbing is a nice simple set up. Arrowhead Equipment is now stocking the cinch buckles and webbing and they have them on sale now.
    I think the material of your hammock is such that the side will come up as they do.
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-21-2011 at 00:43.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    well paracord is rated at 550 lbs and its doubled so i thought 1100lbs of suspension would be ok considering the hammock comes with a crappier version of cords and is rated for 400lbs so im kinda stumped and ive seen the flat straps but im worried about the weight limmits of them and ive seem the amsteel setups but i dont know too much about them and if the straps will hold what about the connection used with them i dont know if i sew the ends to a loop if it will be strong enough

ps the para cord held up for 3 camping trips without a problem

and thx for the respond any thought is appreciated

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    thanks for the reply but im confused with what you ment that my hammock is made for the sides to come up like that im not sure what that means and if i could remove the extention area to make the hammock shallower because as it is now the sides are SO tall that i kinda have to roll out of it and is a pain to get out of

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Second the opinion of the greatest hiker in the world dutch! Not because hes dutch but because hes right. I suggest the AHE cinch buckles. It eliminates your concerns about the amsteel to tree strap connection. Its a loop of amsteel (way strong) you can connect to your hammock, that loop is connected to the cinch buckles (also strong), and is then connected to some mighty strong webbing (1200lbs). Its probably the easyest setup to use out of all of them. Add a set of the amazing DUTCH CLIPS and the setup is complete.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/2575054
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchClips.htm

I have never seen a skeeter beater, but from the sounds its reacting about what all gathered end hammocks should do. With out seeing the skeeter beater and specifically your hammock this is only speculation.
    Last edited by packeagle; 08-21-2011 at 00:54.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    How can you be sure both of the paracord lines are taking half the weight? Get a good suspension and hang with confidence.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    ok hopefully this pic will help yall see what im talking about with the extention piece i was talking about
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BigTurtle; 08-21-2011 at 01:17.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    ok so the straps hold more than i thought GREAT but im still really leary about two little clips holding me up seems that the amsteel "which i read that is really slick and dont hold knots very well" would slide throught the buckles under a heaver weight

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Paracord is a better kindling than hammock suspension. The above stated suspensions work perfectly. They have been tried and tested for years by MANY...lemme repeat.. MANY people from under 100 pounds to over 400 pounds. The simplest is the Cinch buckle. the one that will hold a lot of weight with least amount of weight from equipment is the whoopies which, with some reading and practice, are pretty awesome. I have used cinch buckles and Whoopies and prefer the cinch buckles for " im getting this thing up and knocking out in it in under two seconds" but I managed to get my setup time with my whoopies to only a few minutes and can get an even better lay with it. Read through as much of the website as possible and youll have no worries for the future. youll be hanging with a smile on your face ;]

BTW: Most of the suspension systems you get from the cottage industries here are rated higher than your weight unless expressed otherwise so you can pretty much shop and click on the websites with out much worry.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast