Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images

Top Quilt General rules?

Ok so I was wondering what Top Quilt to buy as it relates to temp rating. I know that will be a difficult question as each individual will sleep hotter or colder so with all that said here is the question.

Do most purchase the Top Quilt to get them to the temp they want so they sleep in base layer or even tighty whities or do most purchase with the intent of wearing extra clothing?

Example: I am a hot blooded individual. I want to get to 20* but want a 3 season Top Quilt. Should I get a 40* TQ so that I can adjust clothing to get me to 20* or is that to big of a range. Would a 20* TQ be better and simply vent as needed?
    ________

Beware Plan A can be a little excessive .

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    I would get a 40 degree for 3 season and just add clothes. If you do much winter camping than you might buy a 0-20 degree. For me though it is more important to have a really warm underquilt.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I think your basic 3 season is a good starting point. But it really depends on when and where the majority of the use will be. I used my Burrow down to 10deg in Feb. here in MI. I used my new summer quilt I just made in the Upper Peninsula last week and barely needed to cover myself up.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good question with no simple answer. I figure that a rating to get to say 30 degrees may require adding clothes. MAY require. There are times my thermometer says 40 and it feels way colder than that or 30 and no way it's feels that cold. Wind? Humidity? If I'm hungry? Tired?A lot of factors at any given temp will have an affect on how cold I feel. In winter,spring and fall I ALWAYS have extra clothing in case I just feel colder than it is.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    For me though it is more important to have a really warm underquilt.
    Get a three season TQ. Most of the warmth seems to come from the UQ. So much in fact, that I often vent the TQ until below freezing.

Images
    I use a 3S TQ year round and just change out my UQ from Summer 3/4 to 3S full.
    I hang year round in Colorado with this setup.
    On the coldest nights I add insulated over pants and down jacket with hood.

hth

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    Thank you all!

I had in my mind that the 3 season would be the way to go. Here in Alabama we can get some very wet cold nights but for the most part its hotter than a 2 dollar pistol. I know it was a difficult question but I got what I need from your post. Thanks again!
    ________

Beware Plan A can be a little excessive .

Hammock
    ENO sn/ WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    WS all-in-one
    From what I'm seeing, it's a matter of layering just like your daytime clothing. You can extend your top quilt rating with cothing, but I wouldn't stint on the under quilt as what ever you are wearing will be compressed on the bottom and be next to useless. I live in Wisconsin and I know cold. I'd rather go out in many light layers than a big heavy parka and a teeshirt. If you are wearing breathable, wicking clothing you should be able to get away with a lighter top quilt if you dress properly. ie. wicking under layer with good insulating outerwear.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove any doubt in the matter." Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I live right here in central Alabama, same as you. I have a KAQ New River from AHE as my UQ and a Stoic 30* down bag as my TQ. I have used this down to 28 with poly pro long johns, wool socks, and a light fleece vest....along with my fleece hat. I was plenty warm, no problem. This was up around Cheaha Mt, north Alabama. I likely not see much colder than this where I camp, and if I do I can layer up and be fine. In the warmer months, I have a poncho line UQ I made, but have not had a chance to try it out just yet.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Got to agree with some of the other guys. The warmth of the UQ seems to be more important than the TQ. To a certain extent, of course. But I've slept plenty of times up here in MN with a toasty UQ and very little up top.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast