Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite

Does anyone else use this?

For a while now I have been using double sided tape for my "waterproof" sewing projects. I didn't like the idea of using strait pins and poking more holes in the fabric to keep secure. So, I just use double sided tape to hold the fabric steady when sewing. This way, all I have to concentrate on is sewing a good seam (which, sadly enough, is still tough for me. My strait stich still manages to look like a zig-zag ). So, my question is does anyone else use this, or is there an even better idea out there?

NOTE: If you try this, don't sew through the tape because the needle on the sewing machine will get sticky and bog down the machine. And after the first stich is done (if you're doing more than one) take the tape off so that you won't sew it in the gear/garmet FOREVER !!!
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Some people have mentioned using some type of seam glue of glue stick in their projects. Most of the time I just pin things together if need be. Most of the time I can get by without pinning things.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    When I'm working with a slick material, I can't get the stuff to stay where I need it to, and I usually can't keep track of the bottom piece. How do you do this with out using something to keep the two pieces stationary?
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Images
    I just pin it. I wouldn't worry about the pin holes. They are not enough to worry about. Plus mine are usually inline or close to my seam anyways. I only seam seal the ridgeline of tarps.

What works great for me in sewing straight lines is to follow the straight lines that are built into the fabric. Close enough to straight for me. Just don't pull and stretch the fabric. Then again that will cause other problems. Works great when I am cutting it too, a lot easier than drawing a straight 12' line to follow.

One thing I am playing around with when I get back to sewing is ironing the seams before sewing. I think it makes a cleaner edge and more profesional look. It helps to hold the seam too.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, the pin holes are few in number compared to the hundreds of needle holes from the sewing machine & about the same size.
    especially if they are with-in the seam, it's not a big deal. the seam sealer will take care of them.
    better to have a few extra sealed holes & a neat, strong seam IMHO.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    H E,
    So how would you iron something like silnylon?
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

Images
    i have used tape pins and glue stick. i have been using pins more recently than i used to. it all depends on what i am sewing, different things work better in different situations.

wash away wonder tape is a good double sided tape. the glue part dissolves in the wash and just leaves a 1/4" thin paper backing in the seam. it will not stick to sil however. for sil i often use a washable gluestick from the arts and crafts section of walmart. the gluestick works well on sil and that is about all i use it on. pins work well to once you get used to using them.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    H E,
    So how would you iron something like silnylon?
    Maybe put a damp cloth over it and iron that very quickly? Would that work?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Low heat with no seam. Definitly something to practice first. Luckily I haven't melted anything yet. I only done it a couple times. It gives a lot cleaner looking edges. I'm trying to up the anty from ok looking gear that does the job, to good looking gear.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    My momma always taught me to use an iron. When I made my one and only hammock (so far), I used an iron. Yeah, you have to experiment a little to get heat setting right. Start low and keep ramping up heat until it holds.

I've also have used a damp tea towel on more delicate materials but I have yet to do silnylon. I've only used polyester material as far as camping gear.

I like to use a thin smooth cotton tea towel as opposed to something that is more like a thicker bath towel. It's easier to use, less bulky.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast