Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southpawx3 View Post
    I'm with you Tim, looking forward to their reports. It would be cool to have a chart or link to their journals somewhere on this forum
    Thats two hints in a row Jeff. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Working on it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks for all the hammocking info. Starting out at springer the last week of march. Wanted to take a hammock after all these years of tenting with kids. My first hammock camping was back in high school in the 70s using the schools surplus jungle hammocks. Nice ride. (That was in Pinckney Rec. Area on the Pottawatmi trail for you Michiganders). Thought I'd buy a hammock until I stumbled on Jeff's site. Made a hammock last week and another this week. Experimenting. So much to learn so little time. Kinda uncomfortable trying out something new so close to starting out. First try in my hammock, the support rope slipped over the whipped end. Good boy scout that I am, I noticed an old cushion lying there on the barn floor and just to be safe I had put it under my head and shoulders. Somehow I missed the cushion and landed on my back on the concrete floor.

My main concern is cold and having the tarp blow off or tear in cold rainy weather.
    As of now I am using two closed cell foam pads put together "T" shaped. Keeping them together and under me is my concern as well as wether they will even be adequate. Has anyone ever sewn pockets in the bottom of their hammock to slide pads into? Is ther a better/different way to go. Like to keep weight down or I'd take my thermarest which unfortunately is a full length model.

Thanks for all the good info. If not for this site and Jeffs site I'd be on the ground.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glenaceae View Post
    Thanks for all the hammocking info. Starting out at springer the last week of march. Wanted to take a hammock after all these years of tenting with kids. My first hammock camping was back in high school in the 70s using the schools surplus jungle hammocks. Nice ride. (That was in Pinckney Rec. Area on the Pottawatmi trail for you Michiganders). Thought I'd buy a hammock until I stumbled on Jeff's site. Made a hammock last week and another this week. Experimenting. So much to learn so little time. Kinda uncomfortable trying out something new so close to starting out. First try in my hammock, the support rope slipped over the whipped end. Good boy scout that I am, I noticed an old cushion lying there on the barn floor and just to be safe I had put it under my head and shoulders. Somehow I missed the cushion and landed on my back on the concrete floor.

My main concern is cold and having the tarp blow off or tear in cold rainy weather.
    As of now I am using two closed cell foam pads put together "T" shaped. Keeping them together and under me is my concern as well as wether they will even be adequate. Has anyone ever sewn pockets in the bottom of their hammock to slide pads into? Is ther a better/different way to go. Like to keep weight down or I'd take my thermarest which unfortunately is a full length model.

Thanks for all the good info. If not for this site and Jeffs site I'd be on the ground.

Welcome to the site. I use one of these (I actually have both models). They work really well:
    www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i wouldn't sew anything to the hammock body unless you really read-up on jeff & risk's insulated hammocks. they have done well w/ those, but there is some risk involved when you start sewing anywhere on the hammock other than the hemmed edges at the sides & ends.
    there's a lot of force put on the hammock body.
    IMHO, that would'nt be a good thing to be experimenting w/ this close to the beginning of your thru.
    but the double hammock on risk's web site would be a pretty save deal.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For a pad-holding hammock, check out Risk's ZHammock and my Two Layer Hammock (based on Risk's).

1st post - welcome to the site! Test as much as you can before the trip. Good thing about using pads is that you can always go to ground if it doesn't work out one night.

Good luck on your hike!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Ya, was kinda wondering if sewing on the bottom would create weakness.
    Like the Z and two layered idea. Appeals to my diy tendencies. Took a closer look at the spe. Looks like maby I should break down(has it come to that?) and buy one of those for the sake of expedience. Thanks for the ideas. Time to go to uh- hammock.

New to the site and haven't started hanging yet, but plan on picking up a Clark North American soon.

Biggest trip I have planned for '07 is 10 days on Isle Royale in Lake Superior northern Michigan. 7 days packing, 2 days base camping, 1 day waiting for boats.

It's not until August, but I'm already so excited I can't stand it.
    I've cut it twice and it's still too short.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Names: Jay and Chuck
    Trail Names: Hooch and Short Bus
    Hiking: AT SOBO from Erwin, TN to Hot Springs, NC
    When: Start first weekend of June (Subject to change, Chuck just started a new job!)
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I am trying to plan a thru on the Foothills Trail this fall.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast