Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

snugfit

The snugfit really looks impressive. I was wondering if it is sewn trough. Any Snugfit owners want to chime in, don't be shy. If that thing has baffles and all those curves I would say it goes from impressive to one of the wonders of the hammock world.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The snugfit really looks impressive. I was wondering if it is sewn trough. Any Snugfit owners want to chime in, don't be shy. If that thing has baffles and all those curves I would say it goes from impressive to one of the wonders of the hammock world.
    I'm not an owner but I did try to follow a discussion here on HF where Youngblood was explaining it. Defintely baffled. Definitely a wonder of the hammock world, and all the more so as it is in production.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    It is indeed not 'sewn thru'. It has radially spaced baffles running the length of the quilt.

I'm sure Youngblood will chime in with more info..
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    The SnugFit has baffles and they are curved as well as radially spaced. The curvature gives the SnugFit shaping along its length and the radial spacing gives it shaping along its width. The baffles near the sides are fixed height while the ones along the center area are variable width... the radially spacing is also variable in a complementary way. The variable baffle height and variable radial spacing was done to get more uniform insulation through out the quilt.

It is a specialized design that is more difficult to make than traditional flat quilts.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The SnugFit has baffles and they are curved as well as radially spaced. The curvature gives the SnugFit shaping along its length and the radial spacing gives it shaping along its width. The baffles near the sides are fixed height while the ones along the center area are variable width... the radially spacing is also variable in a complementary way. The variable baffle height and variable radial spacing was done to get more uniform insulation through out the quilt.

It is a specialized design that is more difficult to make than traditional flat quilts.
    yb, seems like curved baffels would just be more the result of a non-rectangular shell shape. does the curve of the baffels (lengthwise) really give the uq a curved shape or does the curved shape of the shell and the pleats do that, and the baffels simply are curved because the shell is (i'm assuming it is not a rectangular shell)just seems like the shape of the shell and pleats would give the uq a curved shape lengthwise more than sewing the netting in a slight curve. if you had a rectangular quilt with curved baffels would it give the quilt shaping along it's length as well, seems like it wouldn't?

i'm just curious, i checked it out at td's and was very impressed. i think my torso down uq will have a non-rectangular asym shell like my synthetic version does, differential sized shell pieces like the syn version, radial spaced baffels (if that means the baffel stitches are farther apart on the outer shell and slightly closer on the inner shell). i was planning on making the baffels run lengthwise, and i hadn't decided weather or not to make them follow the curved shape of the shell or to just make them straight. which is why i'm asking.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yb, seems like curved baffels would just be more the result of a non-rectangular shell shape. does the curve of the baffels (lengthwise) really give the uq a curved shape or does the curved shape of the shell and the pleats do that, and the baffels simply are curved because the shell is (i'm assuming it is not a rectangular shell)just seems like the shape of the shell and pleats would give the uq a curved shape lengthwise more than sewing the netting in a slight curve. if you had a rectangular quilt with curved baffels would it give the quilt shaping along it's length as well, seems like it wouldn't?

i'm just curious, i checked it out at td's and was very impressed. i think my torso down uq will have a non-rectangular asym shell like my synthetic version does, differential sized shell pieces like the syn version, radial spaced baffels (if that means the baffel stitches are farther apart on the outer shell and slightly closer on the inner shell). i was planning on making the baffels run lengthwise, and i hadn't decided weather or not to make them follow the curved shape of the shell or to just make them straight. which is why i'm asking.
    Brandon,

There are a few other details about how all that works out as an insulation system. First, with down you are dealing with loose fill insulation that can take or follow an infinite variety of shaping, unlike sheet insulation where flexing a thick sheet on a curve can cause issues because the outer surface wants to be larger than the inner surface. With loose fill insulation you take care of the inner surface and outer surface of the curve with the shell material, put enough loose fill insulation inside it, and it follows the shape that the shells provide-- it doesn't fight that shaping.

Secondly, with the SnugFit Underquilt the inside surface is held against the shape of the hammock with its suspension system. That mesh like material on the ends is a stretchy material that functions as a full-width, independent suspension system. It is responsive along the whole width of the underquilt. The magic of that is that it keeps the inside surface of the underquilt in contact with the hammock where ever you lay in the hammock and instantaneous adjusts to you when ever you reposition yourself. That is the first step in the system to get a good fit... a suspension system that will adjust the inside surface to the person in the hammock.

The next step is that the outer surface of the SnugFit is suspended from the inside surface. The outer surface is attached to the inner surface by a system of baffles where gravity, the expansion of the down itself, the shaping and spacing of the baffles determine the shape of the outer surface relative to the shape of the inner surface.

This is where it gets to be a complex geometry problem and where terms like exact differential, exaggerated differential, reverse differential, undefined differential shapes start having some meaning. The geometry problem is in fitting the outer surface to the inner surface after the suspension system has fit the inner surface to the occupied hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The more i think about the SF the more impressed I am with it. I never knew the material is stretchy on the ends for a good even suspension. I was looking at the sewing on my pea pod and the stitches were absolutely perfect. I am very picky about my seams I sew and I always can find flaws in retail gear but the peapod was flawless.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The more i think about the SF the more impressed I am with it. I never knew the material is stretchy on the ends for a good even suspension. I was looking at the sewing on my pea pod and the stitches were absolutely perfect. I am very picky about my seams I sew and I always can find flaws in retail gear but the peapod was flawless.
    Dutch, if you'e impressed with the SnugFit just by reading/thinking about it, try spending a couple nights in one. I slept in a prototype last April in Hot Springs and in one loaned by HC back in the fall. I can attest that the SnugFit really does set the industry standard for underquilts. It's exceptionally well designed and made. It definitely sets a high bar for everyone else out there, that's for sure.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Hi Dutch,
    I have a Snugfit and will have it at MAHHA. You are more than welcome to take a look at it there.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The SF is an awesome under quilt, the pinnacle of design IMHO.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast