DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thanks all

Ok I started a DYI HH looking good so far just need to put the netting on very comfy no calf pressure Thanks all

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

HH Exped

I have the calf pressure. I hang my HH tight. I'll have to start hanging from trees farther away to get the sag others are talking about and see if the pressure stops.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have 7 different hammocks and I experiences calf pressure in all of them. But don’t worry. Put a pillow (or some spare clothes) under your knees and you will be fine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    I've noted that not giving enough sag, or a good 30 deg hang, can cause this. No matter the hammock. If you have the right sag, and obtain an asymmetrical lay, you should fold evenly into the material for that oh so comforting sweet spot rest!

That being said, you may want to borrow a hammock or pick up a less expensive one to work out the learning curve. Grand Trunks Ultralight for $20 is a great hammock, if I may suggest.

For an easy set up flat lay, JRB's Bridge Hammock is a good deal. You surely won't have this problem in a bridge hammock.
    Roger that. Zero calf or knee issues in a bridge hammock, that is it's Forte for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    I have 7 different hammocks and I experiences calf pressure in all of them. But don’t worry. Put a pillow (or some spare clothes) under your knees and you will be fine.
    Roger the pillow for the knees/calf. But I have no calf pressure ( knee hyper-extension is a dif issue) issues in my HHs, though some have to be hung just right or at least you have to search for the sweet spot(but not the Safari, always good with no problems).

Also, no calf pressure with my Claytor No Net or Speer 8.5, but with the Speer still need something under my knees due to knee hyper-extension.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-28-2011 at 21:03.

I have a HH deep jungle XL, even though i'm 6' my first night I had calf pressure/cramp but none after that. Possible reason: it was my first night in a hammock so I pitched it too tight (less than 30 degrees) but I have had many nights in the hammock & no other calf problems. Getting the diagonal sleep right also helped me have a good night sleep.

Images
    The hang does make a huge difference here. I am still fairly new to this, so some nights calf preasure other nights no preasure.

On the nights that I do feel calf preasure I can usually wiggle around and find a spot that it is mostly gone. If I can't find a comfortable spot raising the foot end a few inches seems to help most of the time. A small pillow, or bag of clothes, also helps.

Ragnall

Images
    OK, something made me get my WBBB 1.7 dbl out and play with it. This is a hammock I have not used as much as I otherwise would have ( though I love everything else about it), due to the calf pressure issues. And I seem more sensitive than most to calf pressure problems in most non-bridge hammocks. I have had some hangs in the BB with little to no pressure, but mostly I have had from enough to be irritating after a while to a whole lot. But what had me thinking again about the BB is that, compared to all my other non-bridge hammocks, the foot end is noticeably more roomy.

So anyway, I finally shortened the RL. Using an Alpine butterfly knot, I shortened it ~ 3 or 4 inches, something less than 4 I'm guessing.

This seems to have worked, at least for today! ( mine is one of the 1st BBs, whatever RL length that is) I've been in and out of it several times today, no doubt in varying positions as far as how much centered, how far I was towards the head end, how high the foot was, etc. All the usual tricks. So far today, calf pressure has been somewhere between not enough to be a problem( or barely perceptible) to zero.

Hmm, may finally be on to something, following the recommendations by several here to actually shorten the RL. I have tried a looser hang ( or tighter) many times with little success. Not sure why this would work better, but it does seem to be doing so. It will be great if it is a consistent cure. I went with what seemed like a significant amount of change right from the get go. Maybe I should try a lessor amount and see if it still works. I've also got to see how this affects the netting positioning.

I'll be real happy if this keeps working! So far, so good! And of course, I have never found any other problem with the BB, and it does work rather perfectly with my ( rare collectors item ) WB Yeti like Climashield UQ with its adjustable layers ( 1 to 4. and one is good a smidgeon below 50).
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-03-2011 at 20:47.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I hate calf pressure It's worse than peer pressure... when they look at you with those big, brown eyes
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I hate calf pressure It's worse than peer pressure... when they look at you with those big, brown eyes
    Exactly! That's why I hate it also!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12