I am planning on using some of the WM silnylon that I have to make a 10x12 tarp. I have still not decided to go with a rectangular tarp or a canterary cut, but I will figure that out later.

Right now I am trying to decide how to finish the edges of the tarp: nylon ribbon or roll hem.

I like the ribbon on the edge like what is seen on the MacCat tarps which are said to be "Triple stitched edges lined with webbing prevent all fraying of fabric while keeping a first-rate appearance". My stock HH tarp has edges that are finished in ribbon (single stitched) and one small section and has come loose from the ribbon and there is a slight tear in the tarp fabric that was cause by it pulling loose from the ribbon. I have to repair it in the future.

The slight failure on the HH tarp is giving me second thoughts on using ribbon on the edges, but I really like the look of ribbon. Does ribbon on the edge of a tarp have any benefits over roll hemming the edges (beside comsmetic)? How does ribbon effect getting tension on the tarp when setting up?

I guess I could roll hem the edges and then finish them with ribbon, but that's just extra weight and to time consuming.

Thoughts and opinions?