Hennessy Ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR

under quilt inside the hammock

I keep looking at UQ and all the rigging necessary to suspend beneath the hammock and it is a real turn off. Just seems more complex than necessary. I understand the physics.

I have no experience with the any of the synthetic insulation and I know the current wisdom is that lying on down will cause it to compress and loose the insulation value which comes from loft.

My question, are any of the synthetics sufficiently stiff to maintain loft to lay inside on the bottom of the hammock (secured in place so no wrestling takes place, experienced that with inflatable pad) and not loose the R value because of body weight?

I realize that would probably mean it would not pack down like down but might be engineered to be a neater, easier to setup combination.

I envision a 3/4 or 2/3 that would be sufficiently wide to cover the shoulders when lying on a diagonal.

When I think of an idea some searching generally turns up that I am late to the game and I realize I am just in catch up mode in the hammock world. But any insight would be appreciated.

Rick
    Last edited by colonel r; 08-24-2011 at 09:49. Reason: word clarification

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    You'd need quite a bit of density (think closed cell foam) to be able to lie on it and not ruin your insulation.

Keep in mind, it's not the down or synthetics that is really insulating you, is the air pockets *in* the down or synthetics that keeps your heat while allowing moisture to pass. So if you're crushing it with your body, then you don't have insulation.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Not sure how cold you want to go but my understanding is that fleece does a good job of insulating even when you lay on it. I dont know how low that will get you but that and maybe wool are the only suggestions I have. Cut to size and maybe velcroed to the hammock may make them so they are not huge... maybe. Any of the synthetics used in UQ are designed to work as Lonely Raven described.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I'm wondering about your comment about "all the rigging" for a UQ. My Yeti has a loop of shock cord, you slip it over the hammock bundle at head and foot. Takes 5 seconds and 4 of those are walking from head to foot. What rigging are you dealing with? Photo?
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Your profile doesn't say what hammock you have?

But for best results with a pad, try a double layer hammock. You can slip a pad into the space between the two layers and it will hold the pad (inflatable or ccf) snugly and in place. You'll spend more time slipping in the pad than adjusting a quilt, in my experience/opinion.

A uq isnt that difficult to deal with, maybe a bit of a learning curve...but after a few adjustments, as with most any piece of gear the uq will provide years of warmth.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR
    I have HH ultralight and have a mod in progress to make it a semi "double" using bug net as a pocket on the underside to house a pad with one side I have glued a space blanket and is more of a coffin shape or a thermarest.

I'll post pics when done. I have the pad made and pocket made. Just need to install it.

I do not have an UQ and use a Feathered Friends zero degree mummy as the TQ. But watching the videos the UQ seem "complicated." Having never done this I may be wrong but am open minded as to the best, lightest way to sleep comfortably.

thx for the input.

Rick

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    since you have a hennessy, did you look into the supershelter?
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Watch Shugs videos on UQ's to learn how to use them.

After playing with my first UQ I watched the videos and found out everything I was doing wrong. Once I saw how to propely rig my UQ I am sleeping warm.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts