Thread: Outdoor testing

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images

Outdoor testing

Spent a couple of nites in the bush with the new polyester hammock covers and both worked well in fairly demanding conditions.

1) Nite time temp went down to 34F.

2) Humidity was 100 %. Could actually see the water droplets floating in the air in the beam from my headlamp.

3) Sleeping systems were in one hammock an army surplus down bag and a Wal mart blue pad. In the other was a -12 down filled bag with a blue wal mart pad. Pads were 20" x 50".

4) Wearing poly LJ's and using a down filled vest for a pillow.

Both of us slept warm and dry with no condensation problems when cover top was zipped shut. My partner also used the cover to store his jacket and pants in the bottom so would have increased the insulation factor. I had my rain slicker in the bottom of mine as a just in case it rains and I need it thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Looks nice. Did you make or buy the covers?

And I thought humidity in the South was bad!

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    T/Y. I bought my first hammock about a year ago and got hooked. Since then I have been making all my own gear as the bought one didn't have the features I wanted. I have finally found what works well for me with the cover that attaches to a net less hammock.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    Spent a couple of nites in the bush with the new polyester hammock covers and both worked well in fairly demanding conditions.

1) Nite time temp went down to 34F.

2) Humidity was 100 %. Could actually see the water droplets floating in the air in the beam from my headlamp.

3) Sleeping systems were in one hammock an army surplus down bag and a Wal mart blue pad. In the other was a -12 down filled bag with a blue wal mart pad. Pads were 20" x 50".

4) Wearing poly LJ's and using a down filled vest for a pillow.

Both of us slept warm and dry with no condensation problems when cover top was zipped shut. My partner also used the cover to store his jacket and pants in the bottom so would have increased the insulation factor. I had my rain slicker in the bottom of mine as a just in case it rains and I need it thing.
    Where did you get the polyester?

Do you know the weight per square yard?

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    The lighter color is from Wal mart and bargin bin prices. Its light enough to be back packable. My postal scale was in wifes craft shop and she packed it away someplace so have not weighed the last few projects. The darker color is from a local fabric shop that I have been asking to get some lightweight camo style nylon or poly fabrics. This is the closest they have come but the fabric is meant for the outer layer of a coat and is a bit heavier. The bonus is that it has some water repellent caracteristics and yet is very breathable. I am going to take the completed hammocks to a local store that has a parcel post section and get them to give me the "shipping" weight. A bit tricky but should be accurate. Will post them later today.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    The light colored hammock and cover weigh in at 2.2 lbs, the woodland print at 3 Lbs. When I was making them the end use at that point was for backcountry dirt bike usage. There are many hundreds of miles of old railroad grades and logging roads here on Vancouver Island and my bro, son in law and some of their buddies are avid bikers and hammockers. As such weight was not as big a consideration as was function. I have some light weight material that I am going to be making backpacking set ups with so will be a lot lighter for packing.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts