ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty12x12 current
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Polystrap
    Welcome Dave,

From another Mile Hi (+) Hanger in Littleton, just down the road from OutandBack.

Also using ENO DN with whoopies and straps.

Hope to find you soon at a Colorado Hang!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Welcome from GA.

I got my uq from hammockgear.com (a winter Incubator), and I LOVE it. I've also heard good things about warbonnet, jacksrbetter, and tewa.

You can always use your pads until you save up enough pennies for a propper uq. Just make sure that you and your wife have enough insulation for that first hang or she'll never want to do it again! Do this first one right and it will be a lot easier to get your gear in the future.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12'
    Insulation
    Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

First hang with the Mrs. - A follow up...

I didn't know whether to post this in "Trip Reports" because this was more of a "Trip Learning Experience".

My wife and I were really looking forward to our first experience hanging together this weekend. After the advice given on the forums, we practiced with our hangs, built and used SRLs, bought and set up tarps (Kelty Noah 12s). Took the whole set up to Arapahoe Nat'l Forest outside of Granby, CO.

The first night, we got to camp late and set up quick in the looming dark, Unfortunately, she got cold and went to the car about midnight. I found that my head was a lot lower than my legs and I put a kink in my neck by morning.

The second night, we discussed our issues together. I re-hung my set up to be more level, she decided wearing her base layer would cure her cold issues. So we were all set.

Just after dinner however, we heard a car coming down the road and looked on the hill on our side of the road and saw a panicked, black bear headed right for us, apparently running from the car. This happening as we were seated next to our campfire, with our newly purchased bear spray safely tucked into our hammocks up the hill (go figure).

Luckily our Manchester Terrier mix, Desmond, all 15 lbs of him, bless his heart, cut off the bear and started barking at it. Last thing the bear expected and it spooked him into running away.

This was the first bear experience for both of us. I would have been ok if I didn't see him running full speed toward us, but we were shaken up and we both agreed that considering the dog (who sleeps under a hammock in his own bed), we may be better off in the car.

All in all it was a good trip, but we still haven't actually had a successful overnight hang together. We are going to try to give a shot next weekend, hopefully with more time and less excitement.

JLueckenotte and OutandBack, if you have any hangs planned this fall, I would be all for it to learn more first hand.

Thanks again,

Dave

Images
    Hi Dave,
    Wow your trip report did sound exciting and a little scary. I probably would have done the same thing.

If you ever want to get together for coffee sometime to discuss gear and stuff let me know. I'll PM my cell number. I'm recently retired and free most evening and weekends.

A great way to get a little practice with your gear is plan a few lunch's from the hammock.
    Find a nice place close to home with a little day hike and bring lunch, your hammock gear maybe a book to read. I find after an hour of reading I usually want to do some fine tuning on my hammock. It's great practice.

hth
    -Bob

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty12x12 current
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Polystrap
    Dave,

I'm almost in the same stage as you - still haven't overnighted... similar rig - so yes, let's get together and do a lunch hang soon - as Bob suggests.

We're both in Littleton, but there are a lot of places real close that we can get to quickly along the front range - Bob has some great spots he knows of.

Also ask Bob about bears sometime...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Multicam
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Dutch Clip, Hook
    HI HO from OHIO, we have a lot in common. I have a eno dn with bug bag and need to get some quilts still. I've learned a lot here with more to go to be a full time hanger.
    Diz*

"adapt, improvise, overcome" Clint Eastwood - Heart brake ridge

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123