Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upstate New York Camp/Hang Trip

This is my first post in this awesome forum! I do not yet own a hammock - but based on the advice here am planning on buying one in the very near future.

And so, I am trying to plan a trip around where I live (upstate NY) for my first hang. Some of the people coming with me will be ground dwelling - so a trip that can accommodate them would be great! I appreciate any advice/suggestions you all can provide!

Thanks!!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Where upstate? I am in Rochester. I know of a perfect camping spot which can accommodate quite a few hammockers and tenters. It is about 2 hours from me, about a quarter mile off a main trail. It is quite hidden so I usually refer to it a "the secret spot".

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just got back from a paddle and hanging trip down south, in the Saratoga Springs area...I live up in the ADKs...where are you?

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Poncho Liners/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Try the FLT

Might I humbly suggest the Finger Lakes Trail. It stretches roughly west to east from Allegany to the Catskills. There are 558 contiguous miles of trail with another 400 miles of branch trails. www.fltconference.org

I live in Albany. I know that is near the Adirondacks but I'm not so sure about the finger lake region.

Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I used to live in Albany, now I am about 1 hour away in North Adams, MA. I have hiked/camped in almost all of the areas around Lake George and a few in the High Peaks region. I am right near the base of Mt. Greylock in the Berkshires. I know of lots of areas to take short trips in the area....and I am always up for meeting new hangers to...hang with.
    PM me if you need ideas or maps of the local area near you.

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A fun (and somewhat gentle) trip up into the High Peaks about 2.5 hours north of Albany, September 24-26.

We'll be hiking up into the Eastern High Peaks from the Tahawus trailhead...if you've never been, it's a treat! Tahawus is an abandoned mining town that I'll be exploring a bit at the end of the trip. The trip itself gets up into some wild country through the backdoor (avoiding the crowds seen from the Lake Placid side). The hike up to Flowed Lands shouldn't be too tough, and once up there people can choose their level of challenge:

I'll be hiking to visit Hanging Spear Falls (which should be pretty easy), but some members of the party will likely climb one or more of the numerous 46ers that are easily accessible and close to our basecamp.

It should be a fun trip...failing that though, we'll probably do another trip in October...and Novemeber...and December...and so on...

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    I'm from Ballston Spa. Have you thought of Goose Pond? in the Pharaoh Wilderness Preserve. some good spots for tents and hammocks. good hikes and fishing. just off 87N and is pretty much car camping with a short hike

I'm always up for a hang. I'm hoping to get up there Labor day weekend with some friends.

If you have boats Like NFA said a couple of us did a paddle/ hang on the Hudson (back side of Moreau State park) in Corinth. Nice site.
    Last edited by CrackMunk; 08-26-2011 at 21:36.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

for those of you that have been hanging in this part of the country - is there any special gear you recommend? Or particular hammocks/other things to get?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keeperguy64 View Post
    I live in Albany. I know that is near the Adirondacks but I'm not so sure about the finger lake region.

Thanks for the help!
    I work in Albany, live in Cambridge. Welcome to Hammock Forums. Lots of places to hang nearby, I'll try to think of some real good ones. Have been thinking about hosting a small hang at my place, I have room for about 12 hammocks in my back yard. Just not sure how the fiancee will feel about having so many strangers in our back yard lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast