Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Perhaps you need to rephrase it and ask "What would your setup be AFTER the hurricane, when the power is out and your house is topless?

Seriously, after Andrew some people were out of power for weeks and weeks and weeks. I remember someone saying, "Don't even mention BBQing to me!"

<<In commemoration of tenth anniversary of Hurricane Andrew, Biscayne National Park dedicated a plaque in 2002. The plaque reads:

"On Monday August 24, 1992, at 4:30 a.m., the eye wall of Hurricane Andrew passed over this point before striking Homestead and southern Miami-Dade County. Andrew was one of the most powerful hurricane in U.S. history with wind gusts exceeding 175 mph and a local record storm tide of 16.9 feet. Fifteen people in South Florida were killed by the forces of the hurricane and at least 29 died in its aftermath; hundreds more were injured. The destruction left at least 160,000 people homeless. Tens-of-thousands of jobs were affected and economic recovery took more than five years. Losses in Florida were estimated at $25-30 billion make Andrew the costliest hurricane disaster in U.S history."

Because of the exceptional and widespread damage in Florida and Louisiana, the name Andrew was retired in the spring of 1993 and will never again be used for an Atlantic hurricane.

Old timers know: Take the hurricane warnings seriously. Be aware. Be prepared.>>

After Katrina, you needed to be able to hang above water!

And you definitely need a tarp for shade, battery operated fan, and the bug net. Oh, a bunch of animals escaped from MetroZoo.

My thoughts are with those who might get a hit. I'm in Miami and have a flight to New Orleans tomorrow (can you spell Hurricane Alley?), so I'm glad we doged the bullet...this time.

BTW, my homeowner's insurance is $4,600 a year!!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Camo Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Minicell CCF 3/8&quot;
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could hang your setup outside and watch from inside. could be a bit like 'Wizard of Oz' when the wicked witch bicycles past the house in the tornado.
    The more you know, the less you carry.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've enjoyed reading your comments.

I hope it continues the stories are very interesting and educational.

And funny!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    I went through Super Typhoon Ruby in the Phillipnes in 1988.
    After securing everything to best of our ability my Maint Officer and I took a couple of cases of beer and MRE's up to the barracks to get our Marines together in a couple of rooms for the storm.
    At the height of the storm I saw a tree with about a 10 ft circumference (About a meter wide) pop out of the ground, spin around and go off to somewhere else.
    No hanging for me in that stuff!

DKPerdue

(OK, it might have been more than a couple of cases of beer, but I distinctly remember only 2 cases of MRE's!)

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    "It's not that the wind is blowing, it's what the wind is blowing" - Ron White

As a utility first responder that has seen plenty of hurricanes in southeast, the best thing you can do is leave and come back later. The flooding is worse than the wind.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    McCat Ultra
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Images
    I like JaxHiker's suggestion. I would be hanging underground during the storm. Even then flooding might be a problem.

Better to use the hammock post-hurricane - attached to the rubble.

Don't argue with the alligator until after you cross the river.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Having spent time working during hurricanes, I could not imagine hanging during one. It's much too loud and much too dangerous. Even emergency services try to plan ventures out for rescue between the rain bands or during the calm of the eye.

And also keep in mind that 110 mph is the sustained winds projection. Some gusts can/may reach levels closer to tornado winds. Tornados are often spawned at the far reaches of the outer bands.

Hanging in a hurricane would be about as smart as selling your car for gas money.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I've spent many hurricanes outside storm watching since moving to NC from FL. Once they reach my in central NC they are barely tropical storm strength most of the time.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It probably won't even rain where we will be. Can'tWait and I ( plus Trasher-my dog ) are going on a hang this weekend on the NCT in NW Pa. We plan on just laying low and see what happens. I will hike a few miles on Monday then back to the start on Tue. I gotta be home on Wed. AM. I'll post up when I get back.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Hurricane Irene has her sights set on me.

Right now, the eye of the storm is projected to pass straight over my house on North Carolina's Outer Banks (though some computer models have it passing inland from my house, which places the Outer Banks in the dreaded northeast quadrant).

I doubt that even a pea pod would hold up during a hurricane. I'd never want to test it.

However, you can bet that I have all my gear packed in dry sacks in case my roof blows off. If the power is out, I'll be hanging after the storm. It's more comfortable than an un-airconditioned house.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast