My tarp is an ENO Profly. It was a gift, and I am grateful for it because I would not have a tarp without it. It measures 10'6" by 6'4" and has (what I have discovered from this forum are) cat cuts.

It has kept me dry in some pretty good downpours. I just tuck up under the ridge real close, and I have gotten lucky with some straight down rains.

After oogling all of the fancy tarps around, I have come to the realization that I probably do not have quite enough coverage, and at some point I am going to get wet.

I have spent quite awhile searching this forum for already manufactured tarp modifications, but all that I have found are about cutting things down, or adding more loops for tie outs. I am sorry if I am repeating a question, and if so could someone please point me to the proper thread?

Eventually, once I am out of grad school and have a bit more weight to my wallet, I will upgrade and probably make myself a new tarp. In the meantime, I would like to try and modify the one that I have. I have a few questions for the experts first though.

Can I really just buy some nylon, figure out a good shape, and add a bit on? Or is this a ridiculous idea?

Are there any problems that as a noobie I am probably overlooking?
I know that it will add weight, but that is okay.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!