Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    This is how I used to do it:

Check out that monster tent.
    WTF?

It's an evolution . . . an expensive evolution.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    greenflyfarmer,

I came here for the same reason about a year and a half ago. When you're all done dotting the"i"s and crossing th "t"s, the weight thing comes out about the same. But the sleeping is better.

And, by catching the hiker attitude towards weight, the motorcycle load did get lighter.

Plus, once you got the stuff, why not hike. I've started with one week last year. I have two weeks planned this year

Miles of SMiles

Tom

I did a pretty good job putting it up last night.

After watching the video on the Hennesy knot and all, I liked my end result. Looked pretty well done to me. Used an old fly to hold up the "camping blanket" on the bottom and slept quite warm. I guess it was mid 40's. I think y'all have given me a better way to suspend it from the bottom. Sounds goofy to say it but this stuff is catching.

Motorcycle tent camper here for the past 30 years or so.
    Switched to hammock hanging this past year, so will be trying it next solo bike ride I do.

Maiden voyage in HH, boy I loved it! Super kit!

Laurel Fork WV between Durbin and Gandy was the scene of a motocampout. Rode west from Richmond in to WV on 39, hit fire roads on border and wiggled over to Cass. Found some more good road and finally camped beside a river in Durbin. FR 44 et al was the order of the day Sat., camped at Laurel Fork with the bretheren and sisterns. Smokehole and home on 33 Sun. The HH worked great. Very comfortable and warm with my kit, cut down closed cell under a coleman self-inflating pad, 40 degree northface bag, 1 yard of fleece blanket, slept in skivvies and cotton socks, long handles and wool socks not needed. Temps in the low 40's maybe dipping lower, some rain Sat pm/Sun am.
    Very happy, well more than very happy. Easy to use, used my HH fly/w ridgeline to cover gear, bags, armor and all on bike. Used a 8x10 silnylon tarp for me. Got up both mornings with a limber body and felt great, much better that the ground. I did find something at WMart yeaterday to solve a problem. I couldn't find a good solution to having a sip of water in the sack. For 1 buck, WMart has a little carabiner with a clip that holds a standard water bottle. Clip the bottle to the ridgeline and the bottle is out of the way. Something else, for 2 bucks they had a yellow "camping towel". Very small, easily dried me off after my shower last night and is dry this am.
    I think I'll get another one to use on the road on hot days. Get it wet, wrap it around base of neck and shoulders under your gear on hot days and investigate the mysteries of inhanced evaporation.
    Last edited by greenflyfarmer; 05-08-2008 at 06:12.

Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    ( -snip - to remove that ugly motorcycle)

But my future pictures will have a hammock in them.

What kind of bike? You familiar with ADVrider.com?
    Jimminy cricket - they'll let any FYYFF on this site.

PS: (RAW - K7 from advrider here. )

PPS: If this offends anyone, trust me, RAW will not be offended. If you are offended, I apologize and suggest that you avoid advrider and esp. Jo momma at all costs.
    Last edited by slowhike; 05-24-2008 at 21:22.
    Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

"The pela-caras is a tall white man. Some say he is a gringo who enjoys killing and taking body parts, in particular faces. He strikes at night when one is alone."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    Jimminy cricket - they'll let any FYYFF on this site.

PS: (RAW - K7 from advrider here. )

PPS: If this offends anyone, trust me, RAW will not be offended. If you are offended, I apologize and suggest that you avoid advrider and esp. Jo momma at all costs.
    Welcome, YFF.

That "ugly motorcycle" you cut from my post is now all kinds of banged up.
    Had a biff this past weekend.
    :cry

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Im buying a Dakar (f650) after the summer heat comes and everyone in Phoenix has a bike for sale.
    To aid in camping Im getting the saddle panniers, and I'll likely use the Golite ION pack over a tank bag. Hammock will have a home... full time.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Depending on what insurance is gonna do on my wrecked GS . . . I may go to the orange side . . . and get myself a KTM 990 Adventure.
    I made the mistake of taking a buddy's 950 Adventure for a spin recently.

Mike - check out F650.com - lots of current and past F650 riders in PHX. Check out Jesse luggage also - Al lives over in Glendale. I sold him my Dakar when I went to the orange side.

RAW - sorry to hear about your accident. I just sold my 950 - gonna take a break and concentrate on kayaking for a few years. Got the AL trip in two weeks and next year, we're planning a trip on the Rio Negro outside of Manaus, Amazonia, Brazil. In subsequent years, I'd like to paddle from Iquitos Peru to Belem on the Amazon - we'll see.

I'll likely go bikeless until I retire. We'll likely move to Brazil and if I had to guess, I'll end up with a Yamaha thumper. The largest domestic dual sport is the Yamaha. Everything imported costs an arm and a leg if imported - thus, I'll stick to a domestically made bike.

Cheers!
    Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

"The pela-caras is a tall white man. Some say he is a gringo who enjoys killing and taking body parts, in particular faces. He strikes at night when one is alone."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast