Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Question Looking for some help on my DYI WBBB

I was hoping to make my first post by unveiling my complete DYI Hammock set up at the same time. But because I am a bit puzzled and I haven't found a real answer to my question after going through countless DYI posts, I feel it a need to make a post and see if I can get some help here. Anyway I am building a DYI WBBB Clone Hammock and I am following the dimensions that was given in the post 1022's and off of Black Goat Gear blog. I attached to pics of the dimensions that I used to make the Hammock to make it easier for you to see. The shelf and foot box section was made from one piece with second small piece sewn in the center to strengthen it. At this point I have gotten the hammock body completely sewn minus the bug net, so whipped the ends (as per Knotty gathered ends video) and did a test hang (without me in it) to get an idea of how everything is progressing. This is when I notice that I was falling in line with others on seeing the side with the foot box is nice and tight and the other side with the zipper is real loose and saggy. Granted when I strung this up I didn't have the ridge line in it and I had to string it up in my basement using the bare studs to hold it up so I couldn't get a true feel on if this is correct or not. But I do know that Tonka posted a video showing the same issue but there isn't anything about how he got his hammock fixed.

Since I never seen a WBBB Hammock and all I have is photo's to look at I need some help in analyzing this issue. Is the hammock correct to have it like this? Did I string it up to taut? Once installed will the ridge line fix the problem? After installing the pull outs on the shelf and the opposite side will this help fix it? I did loosen the suspension some and it still seemed that the foot box side still seem to tight. So I took it down scratched my head and called it a night. No it is time to call in the troops, help.....

TheXringHunt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I have a "factory" WBBB and also find the zipper side is a little saggy if I don't use the tie-out. There is a shelf tie out and a zipper side tie out. I find the shelf tie out doesn't do a lot if I put a lot of stuff on the shelf, but the zipper/head side tie out is essential for keeping the fabric out of my face.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Also, if you go on the Warbonnet web site there are videos showing the set up. You may get a better idea how Brandon's hammocks work if you watch those.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    After looking at the videos on WB web I am wondering if I had the hammock to tight and if I put the ridge line in it should be more like what it should hang like. I will go out this evening and rig up a temp ridge line and tie outs and see if that takes care of it. From the vid's it sure looks like the foot box side is not tight at all but tighter than the zipper when properly hung. Is that right?

TheXringHunt.

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    The geometry of the footbox effectively shortens the side of the hammock to which it is attached. This is what causes the footbox side of the hammock to be tighter, and produces the "wall" effect. On HF there are at least a few reviews of the WBBB that describe this. Long story short, it sounds like you needn't worry about your hammock, as the tight side is part of the design. A ridgeline will help you get a better sag and will be needed to support the bug net anyway. The pullouts on the shelf are really only there to prevent the shelf from hanging against the hammock body, they won't affect the tightness. Staking out the pullouts on the zipper side will help to tighten up that side of the hammock as well as get the netting further from your face. Don't forget to shoot for the ~30* suspension angle, that and a RL will keep you from hanging the hammock too taut. I say carry on with your project, you won't regret it. I'm hanging in a similar WBBB clone and love it.

--Tim

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Ok that makes me feel a bit better now. I was going to go with the HH clone but before I started to cut things out I decided to got this direction. So far the Hammock looks great I just was a bit puzzled when I seen it hang. When I rehang it tonight with a temp RL I make sure I have the 30* hang. I am hoping that I can get the measurements for the bug net tonight so it can be installed. I half way was thinking of making a top cover with vents for it too but that isn't my top priority right now.

My progress on the project slowed a bit this week but I am still moving forward. I was able to knock out a BlackCat tarp besides the WBBB clone hammock body last week in the evenings while my wife and kids were out of town.

TheXringHunt

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Since you're using a temp ridge line, maybe you could make it adjustable. Use a taut line hitch or some such so you can dial it in. What's that number I've heard? 83% or something... that's the ridge line length compared to the hammock body length. I haven't made a hammock yet so hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Yep my thoughts exact. I was going for the temp RL for dialing it in then make the final one with fixed eyes on each end.

My biggest thing is I don't want to get the seam ripper out yet.

TheXringHunt

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Seam ripper? the WB one passes through the whipping.. maybe you could use a knitting needle or folded over wire to thread your loop through. Or untie the whipping, put the loop through and whip it back up. The rl work best if the suspension lines go through the loops on the ends of it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I tied the whipping as a temp knot too so I can measure for the bug net undo everything and re-tie it permanent. The seam splitter is for total disassembly of the foot box area to correct my issues I think I may have. But that is for last resort.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast