WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If anyone has a digital copy of the BlackCat directions, let me know and I'll see that they are hosted so they are available in the future.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    If anyone has a digital copy of the BlackCat directions, let me know and I'll see that they are hosted so they are available in the future.
    I have a copy of the spreadsheet if that is any help.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    I'm with HE. I like rectangle tarps for more protection, and more versstility when it comes to pitching on the ground. That's not to say you can pitch a MacCat style tarp on the ground, there are ways and pitches to do so, just a few of my favorities with a more traditional falt reftangle tarp. I think my next tarp will be similar to the Speer 8x10 cat cut and the Speer Winter Tarp. I think Ill make it out of Spinntex 9.7 (ounce wienee) and about 8x10 in demisions. Thats just .2.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    Thats good to know because I was really wanting to make a rectangle tarp, but it seemed like one of those too good to be true things. A few hems, one seam, and some tie out points and I have a tarp?...Just seems too good to be true.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    Thats good to know because I was really wanting to make a rectangle tarp, but it seemed like one of those too good to be true things. A few hems, one seam, and some tie out points and I have a tarp?...Just seems too good to be true.
    Yeah, maybe you could toss in some complicated angles or something. You know, make it interesting... ...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    This is exactly why I want to go with the rectangle next time...simplicity of design. I cannot tell you exactly how much time I spent just visualizing and imagining how to shape my tarp, but I think just not having to go through that again is enough for me!

Images
    I am waiting to way over simplify everything. Less to go wrong, easy to make.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Another vote for a simple rectangle. I like the extra coverage you get from a rectangle. Very simple to make and great for a first tarp project. I used these Henry Shires directions (thanks Henry!!) for my first one, minus the netting and beak. They will give you an idea of what needs to be done. If I could only have one size, it would be an 8 x 10. I currently have a 5 x 9 and a 10 x 10. I think the 8 x 10 is a good all around size.

Images
    I started out my long hike with a MacCat Deluxe. Fortunately I tried it out in several storms before I left. I could not stay dry with the changing wind during strong thunderstorms. By adding door flaps to the ends, and finding a bombproof way to keep water from running down my straps to the hammock body, I weathered two tropical storms and many severe stoms and have stayed absolutely dry. A rectangular tarp can be modified the same way or if extra tie points are sewn to the edges, the ends can be semi-closed with just a couple of extra stakes.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12