Thread: Zipper "turns"

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks guys. You are all seriously the best when it comes to this stuff. I really appreciate the advice. I am loving the DIY scene and the purchasing of this sewing machine, despite its slight bruising to my masculinity, was a great move.

I am getting nervous that I'll run out of DIY projects! When I am not doing law school stuff, hitting the gym, or hanging out with my gf, it seems like my remaining time is spent doing this type of stuff. It truly is enjoyable!

Whether or not I do this zipper thing depends on how I want my floor to be set up. I was thinking about making the floor removable by allowing the no-see-um to attach to it via velcro. This would allow for some adjustments, such as lowering and lifting the sides for ventilation. am just unsure of the quality of the "bug seal".

I am going off this design. http://thru-hiker.com/projects/tarptent.php
    Last edited by ljcsov; 08-27-2011 at 10:21.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    When I have installed them on a curve, lay out the zipper on the fabric and pin. Then sew it to the fabric on both sides of the zipper. Then cut the fabric on the backside of the zipper. Fold it back and put a second row of stitches.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    When I have installed them on a curve, lay out the zipper on the fabric and pin. Then sew it to the fabric on both sides of the zipper. Then cut the fabric on the backside of the zipper. Fold it back and put a second row of stitches.
    If you sew the fabric over the zipper when you cut and fold the zipper tape is hidden and the result looks like a professionally installed zipper. It's a bit pickier than sewing the zipper on top but I like the result better.

Make sure the first row of stitches is at the edge of the zipper tape. Otherwise you can have trouble folding the fabric under. It is easiest if you turn everything over and sew the zipper upside down onto the _wrong_ side of the fabric. Turn it all right side up and follow the zipper as you clip down the middle. Keep the zipper closed while you are cutting. Then fold and stitch with the zipper foot.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12