mods please delete, I reposted in DIY, I think that is where I should have put it...

mods please delete, I reposted in DIY, I think that is where I should have put it...

I have been doing a lot of reading and learning here.

I have had a Skeeter Beeter since last Christmas but due to finances I was unable to keep getting the gear needed to use it.

I recently got a pair of whoppie slings and tree huggers from AHE. I also got 25' of 7/64" amsteel. I rigged up a way to hang my hammock in my garage.

I want to say a huge thanks to opie, before ordering the extra amsteel I read probably all of your splice tutorials. You really made my learning possible.

For days I played with the hammock without anyway to set the sag. After more reading here I made my own adjustable SRL.

I basically wanted a large whoppie sling. I followed several tutorials here and my first splicing attempt went well.

After that I wanted to add a quick release method to add and remove the SRL. I read a variety of posts on soft shackles, nano shackles, and a bunch more name I can't remember. What I came up with was 24" with a loop in the middle, then 2" on each side, then a locked brommel (sp), followed by a 4" bury, then another locked brommel, followed by a diamond knot, then I buried the tail into one tail.

I use this connected to the hammock whoopie by a larkshead, the larkshead is within the buried section of the shackle.

Is this a suitable way to set this up? Is my shackle being used properly? Would it be best to have the diamond knot up or down? Will the larkshead within the bury be an issue?

While I was at it I added a few more mods, a combination of problem child and grizzlyadams mods to add a ridgeline. I wanted the outside adjust ability with my whoopie plus the net being mostly held high. The two center spots were done exactly as the two other members did it. I then added two loops that the SRL go through. Those were simply cordura with grossgain under it and sandwiched in the hammock.

The whole setup

How does it look? Knots/splice ok?

Thanks to the awesome members here and their willingness to share with new members like me.
    Last edited by gmitchell; 09-09-2011 at 18:41.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    That closet doorknob won't hold you up.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sorry couldn't pass up that opportunity. I'm still boggled with what can be done with these amsteel slices, have only just begun myself. Did knockout a couple of continous loops for my turtlelady stand today. Fun isn't it? Contemplating a piece with a shackle on one end and a whoopie on the other. Has to have been done but couldn't find it.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

lol.

good eye.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Your floor looks like mine. Once I did away with the bed I had more room to spread out. You would think after 60 years I'd know how to pickup behind myself. Oh, that was just the echo in my mind. From my wife.

This is my "man room" so I get to keep most of the stuff spread out on my floor.

Until I also hear that "echo" in my head.

These in-line nacra's might get you started.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18521

• + New Posts