WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    +1 on the different tarp than the supplied standard of the Hennessy's. You can get lighter and have the benefit of more coverage. A must in my opinion (especially with frequent and varied use).

+1 also on choosing a setup with a larger hammock (I'm 5'9" and feel very cramped in my expedition but have a great deal of space in my Warbonnet Blackbird).

I also prefer the zipper. I have the classic opening on my Hennessy and although interesting, I find the zipper much easier to orient my gear inside, I can reach out and adjust my insulation or grab something. Big plus for me.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    You will pay more if you get a WBBB. Not only is the tarp not included, if you buy one of theirs you need to get your own strings to hang the tarp. Hennessey includes strings pre-attached to the tarps.
    This isn't intended to sway you in either direction, just give you some essential info. I have a hammock and tarp from both makers and they are both good.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'd heartily suggest that you opt for the Explorer Deluxe, and opt for the free upgrade to the hex tarp. It's also worthwhile to ask them to substitute in the longer tree straps for the price difference as well.

That's what I did, and I'm VERY pleased with the results.

The Explorer Deluxe is definitely a good bit longer and roomier than the Expedition. The hex fly that you can upgrade to is well worth it...much better rain coverage for no additional price. It's not as light as the 30d tarp...but the weight difference was not a big deal, especially when looking at price. (for me)

I'd suggest that you go with the bottom entry to begin with...and then look at sending it off to 2QZQ (a cottage vendor here) to do a zipper modification on it if you later think you'd prefer that. I intend to send mine off to them sometime this fall/winter, and leave the bottom entry open for use during the summer.

Not knocking the Warbonnet's...I've just never used one. I can vouch for how much I like the setup I have...which is what I described to you above.

I think either purchase is likely to work for you.

Images
    If you are concerned about the small tarp check with Hennessy. In the past if you purchased either of the explorer size hammocks you could upgrade to the 70d hex fly at no extra charge when you placed the order.

I have not been out in anything worse than a small shower so far, but the stock tarp was fine then.

Some people do not like the stock suspension on the Hennessys. I don't mind the lashing/knot that I had to learn. It is simple once you have seen it.

Ragnall

I see OWL answered while I was typing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I found a way to make the stock suspension work much better. I made a loop with a variant of a taut line hitch. I tied sort of a modified prussik style knot . As long as the trees are far enough apart I can adjust this loop to the length I need. If the trees are closer I'd have to retie the knot but that's ok.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    For what it is worth from a new hanger.....

I have the HH Backpacker Asym with bottom entry. I am over the 6' mark as recommended by manufacturer but am only 190 lb.

I understand the bottom entry is better for 'skeeters but I am thinking the zipper mod would allow the choice in cooler weather with all the insulation, to lean out and cook etc.

I have found the hammock very comfortable although it did take several nights to get used to falling sleeping . After that initial learning curve ......perfect!

I did go through a thunderstorm with the stock tarp and kept nice and dry, but would like a larger tarp for the added security as well as the versatility in porch mode. I am after all a creature of comfort, that is why i got my hammock.
    Last edited by bodhran4me; 09-08-2011 at 13:08. Reason: Added tarp comment

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wow, the Hennessy supporters are out in full force in this thread! My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip. For $149.95, I thought it was the quickest way to get hanging on a limited budget. After reading the hammock forums, I just felt that there were too many options with tarp, suspension, etc., to ever make a decision in a timely manner. This is my second year of hammocking and I'm really no closer to deciding on my ultimate hammock setup. There are too many options to explore to make an informed purchasing decision, so I'd recommend you just get your starter hammock and begin the journey.

I now have two more DIY hammock setups, and I'm converting my Hennessy to a whoopie sling suspension. It takes me less than three minutes to set up the Hennessy with the standard package, but I like the no-knot setup with whoopie slings and tree straps with Marlin spike hitch.

The Hennessys are all-inclusive of tarp, suspension, etc. My only regret is that I didn't get the larger hex tarp. I'm 5'11, 160 lbs., and the Expedition Asym is plenty roomy for me and I sleep fine. Then again, I'm not a finicky sleeper (unless I'm sleeping in a tent on the hard ground). That said, I'm sure a larger hammock would suit me just fine. It just wasn't in my budget at the time.

Right now I'm thinking my dream setup will ultimately end up as a Warbonnet hammock 'cause that shelf and foot box looks sweet. I want a silnylon winter tarp with doors so I can do some real winter camping. And one day, I'll get a top quilt and underquilt. I am in no hurry to make these (and many other) decisions because I really think I need to go out on a winter, spring and fall group hang (screw summer; too hot for camping) to see the gear others have, whether from other hammock vendors or DIY setups.

So get hanging, and remember, we do have a 12-step program for chronic hammockers, and there's also one for gram weenies.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'd heartily suggest that you opt for the Explorer Deluxe, and opt for the free upgrade to the hex tarp. It's also worthwhile to ask them to substitute in the longer tree straps for the price difference as well.

That's what I did, and I'm VERY pleased with the results.

The Explorer Deluxe is definitely a good bit longer and roomier than the Expedition. The hex fly that you can upgrade to is well worth it...much better rain coverage for no additional price. It's not as light as the 30d tarp...but the weight difference was not a big deal, especially when looking at price. (for me)

I'd suggest that you go with the bottom entry to begin with...and then look at sending it off to 2QZQ (a cottage vendor here) to do a zipper modification on it if you later think you'd prefer that. I intend to send mine off to them sometime this fall/winter, and leave the bottom entry open for use during the summer.

Not knocking the Warbonnet's...I've just never used one. I can vouch for how much I like the setup I have...which is what I described to you above.

I think either purchase is likely to work for you.
    I wish I had been given Owl's advice when I purchased my first HH would have saved me a bit of money in the long run but hey at least I am supporting HH with additional purchases I did add the larger hex fly to my order and will never be without it, a definite must have no matter which hammock you decide on. After having had mine for about a year I would now order exactly what Owl is describing. Explorer Deluxe with Hex fly and bottom entry then some day later send it off to 2QZQ for the zipper mod 4 and triple pulls on both sides. But hey thats just me!

Bottom line you can't go wrong with a Hennessy. Get one and live in it for a while. Then when the bug has you completely you will get another or make several and see places to hang them everywhere.

huauqui

Images
    While tying to keep it an apples to apples comparison, it seems to me the WBBB is really quite competitive. At $175 for a 24 oz 1.1 double layer model, it seems to me you really need to compare with the HH DJ, which will be some what heavier. But I think it is the only HH with the dbl layer pad pocket. It is $260($300 for the XL). If you can get a credit for buying without the the tarp, it is still going to be over $200. Or, if you add the price of an HH tarp to the WBBB, you are at about $235 now for the WB. So seems to me the WB is actually cheaper if you want a dbl layer model.

But to confuse things a little more the HH DJ comes with snake skins and some basic bottom insulation, the bubble pad. Some times it comes with a free 2nd small hammock, the Scout, but not at the moment.

I am really comfortable in an HH UL Explorer, a Safari and a DJ XL. I am also very comfortable in a WBBB DL 1.7.

The advantage I see to all of the HHs ( but most especially the Safari) is seems easier to me to avoid the bane of all of these types of hammocks: left calf pressure. Not 100% no problem except with Safari, but more consistently not a problem with all of them than my WBBB.

The advantage I see to the WBBB is: more roomy in the foot area, making me way less likely to have my right little toe jammed up against the hammock edge or zipper, and compressing a quilt(=cold spot). Also, I think I am less likely to have knee hyper-extension( different problem than calf pressure, but same cure: knee pillow). Also I like the net/side pull out arrangement, it keeps things super roomy around my head and shoulders. With my HHUL Explorer, I often had trouble keeping the net out of my face and had to have the side pull outs were perfectly pitched. And a really handy feature on the BB is the famous "shelf".

I think all of these hammocks are excellent and I could be happy with any of them. But I think most folks ( have they all tried both? I doubt it) REALLY prefer the WBBB. A smaller # ( some have used both) seem to prefer the HHs, especially the longer models like the ones I have used. You really can't go wrong.

But if you think you might prefer a double layer(mosquito proof pad pocket) hammock, at $175 I think I would have to go with the WBBB, and then spend $65 to $130 on one of the super quality tarps from Mac Cat, JRB or several others.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/11%20x%2...Cat%20Tarp.htm

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php

Unless of course I decided to instead go for a JRB bridge hammock , and maybe I would or maybe I wouldn't! Yesterday I spent time hanging super comfortably in my WBBB with an HH SuperShelter installed on it.

Today, I happily hung for a while in my JRB Bridge. Now there is a hard choice!
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

Good luck on your choice and have fun! Oh, and Welcome to the madness!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hexagonal
    Insulation
    working on that
    Suspension
    Hennessy lash
    Images
    Billy Bob - good to see someone from Mississippi here - I am in Madison.

I started camping in a hammock on Guam with a hammock that I bought in Guatemala. I slung it between 2 coconut trees and ran a strong tarp over it all - primarily to deflect any falling coconuts! Rain was a distant though beneficial consideration. Since that time, I have been wanting to combine 2 of my hobbies - motorcycling and camping. This interest led me to this forum.

I enjoyed your post comparing the HH and WBBB. I am still looking around for a hammock, but am leaning toward the WBBB.

My reason for bothering you is that I am wondering if there is an active group in our area.

Thanks,
    RT

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast