Images

HH uncomfortable around the entrance way.

Whats up peeps. I'm a HH user and I've been thinking about making a speer type hammock.

One thing I've been wondering about... I find the HH comfy except for the area around the slit you enter through in the bottom. It feels like this hard line against my legs. Not a big deal b/c I usually have my legs on either side of the entrance slit. Am I making sense here? Anyway, Is the hard uncomfortable area of the HH endemic of all hammocks....or is just b/c a HH has an entrance hole on the bottom?

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I have never experienced that problem. Are you a big guy. I'm 5' 8". Silly question.... Are you laying diagonally in the hammock. Basically head and foot situated where the tieouts are located. My feet only lay on the right of the slit.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sometimes going a little more diagonal in the hammock with make it more comfortable on your legs.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

You are supposed to have your head on the left side, your butt about on the centerline and your feet to the right of the opening.
    Do one thing every day that scares you!

Images
    Yep, it can be a problem, though usually it can be worked around. Sometimes if I have something under my knees, I can arrange this so that it overcomes that little pressure spot.

I think it might be a little worse in the HH than with my Speer or especially Claytor. And a little worse yet with the SuperShelter. And it may vary with how tight I hang the HH. With all of these, sometimes I can sort of smmoth things out a little by pressing down on the bottoms with my heels, lessening the effect of the ridge, at least for a while.

OTOH, I can avoid this problem 100%, and also get my knees most comfy without needing anything under them ( I won't have any knee hyper-extension ), by laying midline with my feet in the little pockets on each side of the middle ridge, or HH entry. Unfortunately, this won't quite work with the SuperShelter, since it is designed for diagonal lay. There is a similar problem using a pad and lying midline. You have to choose which side you want the pad to be in. Or have a really wide and flexible pad.

But with my PeaPod ( or UQs I'm sure), no problems. Just lay in the middle, with feet out to the side in the pockets.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Not as bad if you sleep on your right side

I've only spent 3 nights in my HH, so I hardly qualify as an expert, but after reading your post yesterday I experimented a little with this issue in last night's sleep in my SS-equipped Explorer UL.

What I have noticed is this is much less of a problem if you sleep on your right side and have your knees slightly bent (a typical position). By doing this, your ankles do not cross the rigid entry slit.

Of course sleeping on your left side is the worst.

FWIW,

--Kurt

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Yes, it can be kinda uncomfortable...I sleep primarily on my left side...that center slit ridge is one of the reasons I sold my Hennessy and bought a Clark...

• + New Posts