Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    hey folks, thanks for the suggestions. i'd considered a very light down blanket and may do that. the poncho liner sounds like a great place to start - something i hadn't considered at all. thanks much.

something i'm going to experiment with - microfiber. i have a friend thats one of these guys always running up on a deal. well, he was driving by a cut-and-sew near the gulf coast the other day and they had a special - bolts of microfiber cloth. anyway, he snagged some and told me about it. i'm going to cut a section and try it as a blanket. i'm sure it's fairly heavy, but on short overnighters it should do fine. i'll report on this when i can.

thanks again for the poncho liner tip.

sv-

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I love my USED military issue poncho liner... check your local surplus shops... They're normally $20 or less in decent shape.

Fleece is great, if you want a heavier blanket, there's a quick way to make a double layer... Take 2 pieces of equal size, Make 4" long cuts inward all the way around on both layers at about 1" apart. Cut off the loose corners. Tie a single knot with both layers... Really warm, but heavier than a poncho liner. Sleeping in your clothes makes you warmer, too...

Here is one method, like I described...
    http://www.instructables.com/id/No-S...ece-Blanket-1/

Since fleece doesn't really unravel, you can do a single layer with no edging, if you wish...

Or go back to the army-navy store and buy a wool blanket. Of course, the fleece might be heavy for backpacking, but you can cut it to the exact size you want. I could see a blanket that's a light liner with fleece being really warm and comfortable, if you can sew...

If the microfiber is really light, 2 layers of that with either Insultex or Insul-Brite in the middle and it'd be toasty warm... Heck, 1 layer of IX would be ok for summer, though it doesn't breathe well, so sweating might be an issue.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK, looks like I'm still looking to down for something that is for Fall use

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Down just doesn't meet my criteria for camping clothes and gear...too expensive, too moisture sensitive, requires too much care and consideration...

I'm not saying people shouldn't use it, just that there are people who camp year round who aren't members of the down cult...I offer this only as food for thought...

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Check out your local WM, I was in yesterday and saw the twin size fleece blankets for $5.00,they're about 65" x 90" if memory serves. Can't buy the fabric for that and this is alittle thicker. Eazy to cut down without having to hem. I made 2 out of a queen/king size last year for $10.00.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    You could also look into a travel blanket. There's the silk ones from Sea to Summit - packs very small and light but it's only good for very warm temps. There's also a brand called Cloudz that they sell at many of the airports right now, made of "viscose" which I think is Rayon or something like it. They're a good size, pack quite small (think soda can) and they're $16.99 so it's affordable enough to give it a try.

These won't work for you for anything other than really warm temps but if that's what you're looking for then these will be a lot smaller than a fleece blanket or poncho liner. If you're looking for something for moderate temps then I would recommend the poncho liner also, it'll be a little lighter than fleece but reasonably warm.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    with anything, including poncho liners, everything can be adapted to make it warmer, the only issues will be weight and bulk. if you like PL's, you can layer them to make them warmer, or use them with things like insultex (like mr sawyer said).

if weights no an issue, may i suggest this with the PL's

get 2, and with one sew a layer or 2 of the insulation of your choice. use the non sewn one until it gets too cold to use alone,then use the tie outs on the sides to tie them both together with the insulation between them. instantly you have a double PL with extra insulation.

PL's are awesome just because they do keep cool in the summer and warm you when you need.

Oh, and a big thanks to John Sawyer for pointing me in the direction of the PLUQ, because i would have never tried it and never would have even known it was such a versatile piece of material
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    JRB, Clark ultralight, Hennessy . .

poncho liners at Sportsmansguide

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    those have a different pattern for the ties, if you decided to make it a PLUQ youd need one top and bottom in the middle.

try this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

youre going to want to look for this tag otherwise theyre not military. and military PL's dont have "head holes" unless GI's put them there.

your best be is hit an army navy store locally.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Don't have a huge amount of experience here but I can say I've had my Sew-em Up PLUQ down into the low 40s a couple of times (used a heavy Coleman sleeping bag for top insulation) and was quite warm...not just fairly comfortable...I'm talkin toasty warm!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast