Images

PeaPod(slightly defective) vs HHSS(wrong size) in the ID Sawtooths

winner: HHSS ( kind of at least )

OK, that may be a little over simplified, but still, I was wishing for my SS (and the netted hammock that I would have used with it). Or at least the JRB Bridge with MW4, though I'm afraid that would have been way to hot. Still, all things considered, the Pod ( NO TQ) still got the job done. So here are the details:

Me and my friends from NC were heading to the Sawtooths of Idaho last week. (trip report soon) My friend was- for the 1st time- taking his ~ 19-20 year old son. His son wanted to take his HH Expedition bottom entry, which he was used to and happy with, though he had some other no net options. But whatever he took, he needed some bottom insulation, and needed to borrow whatever I was not using.

In the end, after going back and forth between options of Claytor/pod vs WB synthetic Yeti vs HHSS( always a main contender) and bridge/MW4, I ended up deciding on what I took to similar country last time: Claytor No Net/PeaPod, no TQ, using only the warm clothing I had with me anyway. And counting on Permethrin/Picaridin/ and head net if needed. So my friend's son ends up using one of my #2 large SSs on the smaller Expedition hammock. The lows at nearby Stanley ID, elevation ~ 6500, varied from 31 to 49 during the trip.

Two things went wrong the 1st night. My headlight batteries went dead at the 1st night car camp at Little Redfish Lake( batteries replaced next A.M.). At the same time, I now realized that the pods Velcro did not seem to be sticking at anywhere near full strength. I also found out that ( maybe because of the lack of Velcro stick power ) that it was VERY difficult to get the Velcro closed with no head light or moon and going by feel. Don't know why: you would think it would be easy enough to feel the appropriate surface, pull tight and touch them together. But just "touching" was not hacking it this night- as it has in the past- I needed to be able to visibly push the Velcro edges together. Otherwise it would not close or stay closed. By the middle of the night, the moon had come out and that helped. But even after I had a head light again, this remained an unpleasant hassle the rest of the trip.

In the mean time we had quickly got the SS on the HH. Actually, the youngster had got it on pretty much right 1st time all by himself ( had the pad in backwards and the SB under the pad). We got things straightened out, and he was good to go the rest of the trip. The #2 SS was too big, which worried us a little at 1st, but in the end, all was good. He stayed warm and toasty with no condensation issues. He chose to leave the over cover behind, and it was indeed never needed. He had a 15* bag as quilt. One WM space blanket over one full length HH OCF pad and the under cover. At 1st morning pack up he took my advice to just stuff it all in one big sack, removing only his big synthetic bag. At the end of the trip I heard him telling his dad this would make a nice gift some Christmas or birth day.

One morning at the end, I got up for breakfast and noticed him sawing logs inside the netted HH, just looking totally content, and I thought “dang, I wish I had just brought the HH and SS and separate TQ(or JRB Bridge).”. Because I was paranoid every night about mossy bites despite Picaridin on exposed skin, and I did not liking sleeping in the head net, which I mostly did not do. Plus the unexpected Velcro hassle had me thinking I should have made another choice. Oh well, still got 'er done!

Can Velcro be restored? Also, I have from day one considered installing a couple of light duty snaps to beef up the Velcro, especially on the ends where it is hard to reach after laying down. I was glad for the pods infinite ventilation, because being too hot was more of a problem than being too cold, even without a TQ. I never even used my down vest or puffy clothing to stop drafts after the 1st night, was not needed. The pod closed ( after a battle to get it closed! ) down to a 6” diameter breathin vent was warm enough. Or, sometimes I slept in my puffy clothing, just using the pod as an UQ, or maybe closed over my feet. So once again just a PeaPod – with warm clothing as back up- proved more than warm enough- with a narrow hammock and no TQ- down into the lower 30s.

But so did the HHSS. And due to the hassle factor of the Velcro ( never had trouble with it before) and paranoia about all of the mossies, I would have enjoyed either my HHSS or bridge/MW- both with nets- more and was wishing I had either of them. But, due to the over kill of the MW4, I might have been to hot, plus it is 28 oz. As it was, in the pod I had to remove the space blanket because my back felt too warm, and it still felt plenty- almost too- warm some nights. So the HHSS would have been perfect for this trip. Hindsight etc.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-29-2011 at 21:27.

Images
    Oh and BTW: not to seem too negative on the Pod ( for the 1st time ever) it still had one great pro: On my side, pod turned sideways, with the opening ( once I finally got the dang thing closed to the degree I wanted) right next to my face so my breath goes out to the side or even slightly downward. Top of the pod laying right down on top of my head and body.

That is a pretty unique benefit with the pod. And as always, it works like a draft free charm.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    sounds like a good time, and the guy must be lucky to be hangin with a legend and big gear closet to help him out haha. but Ive also heard about the velcro on the hennessy going bad, I guess mine just doesnt have enough miles on it to have gotten weak yet but that would be a big bummer if it did. and im no DIY'er at all but I wish I could comment on the pea pod situation. but good to see yall enjoyed it.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    sounds like a good time, and the guy must be lucky to be hangin with a legend and big gear closet to help him out haha. but Ive also heard about the velcro on the hennessy going bad, I guess mine just doesnt have enough miles on it to have gotten weak yet but that would be a big bummer if it did. and im no DIY'er at all but I wish I could comment on the pea pod situation. but good to see yall enjoyed it.
    We did indeed, and there is now a trip report posted. My HH Velcro has not been to strong for a long time, but it does not much matter I guess. I was told that the original HHs did not even have Velcro, and that the Velcro was added mainly to close the hammock after you get out, so bugs won't get in it while it is hanging open. But as you know, when you lay on the diagonal it closed pretty tight, Velcro or no Velcro.

I will have to search for repairing/refurbishing Velcro. I never used to have that problem with my PeaPod. Still, despite the hassle, I was able to get it closed. Especially if I had a light and could see!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Billybob, thanks for the report! I think its really good for everyone to know about things that can go wrong with a trip---------if all we report are success, then people are surprised when things go wrong! Ive never had that particular problem with my peapod, but I see how that could happen---------Thanks for the heads up! (and when you find out how to rejuvinate velcro, let me know!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    OK, Stevebo, I'm still working on it, but I'll let you know! I tried some duct tape to pull fuzz off of the soft side, and a fine tooth comb for the rough side of Velcro, but it broke the comb. Maybe I can find a metal fine tooth comb. Doesn't seem to have helped much yet. I guess as a last resort I could either DIY or get a seamstress to just replace the Velcro every few years. I have had it Christmas 07, and have had no trouble until now. It is otherwise like new, stiff puffs up as thick as ever, which means pretty lofty indeed. But the Velcro just seems to have weak adhesion compared to when new. Not a total malfunction, still doable, but way down from optimum.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, Stevebo, I'm still working on it, but I'll let you know! I tried some duct tape to pull fuzz off of the soft side, and a fine tooth comb for the rough side of Velcro, but it broke the comb. Maybe I can find a metal fine tooth comb. Doesn't seem to have helped much yet. I guess as a last resort I could either DIY or get a seamstress to just replace the Velcro every few years. I have had it Christmas 07, and have had no trouble until now. It is otherwise like new, stiff puffs up as thick as ever, which means pretty lofty indeed. But the Velcro just seems to have weak adhesion compared to when new. Not a total malfunction, still doable, but way down from optimum.
    have you tried the metal brushes for dog hair?
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

I would suggest replacing the velcro with 3M velcro.....however that's just me.....Actually I would probably just sew another layer of velcro over the existing one....if that could be done....The peapod is too nice a system to not be working correctly.....

second thought..... you should just give the peapod to ME.... since it is obviously not going to worth anything to you now
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    have you tried the metal brushes for dog hair?
    No, but I will look into that!

Quote Originally Posted by bdbart View Post
    I would suggest replacing the velcro with 3M velcro.....however that's just me.....Actually I would probably just sew another layer of velcro over the existing one....if that could be done....The peapod is too nice a system to not be working correctly.....

second thought..... you should just give the peapod to ME.... since it is obviously not going to worth anything to you now
    I don't know why I had not thought of that obvious solution!

I guess I should not complain too much, as the pod kept me warm- with no extra TQ- to the low 30s. And except for the one coldest night, I didn't even need my warm clothing, just the pod partly or mostly closed up. Or just the clothing with pod supplying UQ function and maybe covering my feet and lower legs.

I guess the main thing I was missing- other than the convenience and no hassle of a HHSS like the one I loaned out - was a net, which is not even related to the pod. Now, if I had taken my WB Traveler net, I would have been much more comfortable, psychologically. Between Permethrin and Picaridin, I had zero bites. And really, with the Picaridin on my head/face/hands, they would not even come near me, and it would last at least 6 hours, maybe more. But I found paranoia about it made it harder to relax once all the lights were out. Lesson learned.

But technically, this is two trips now I have slept in significant mossy conditions without a net, and no bites. I just need to get my head right!

• + New Posts