DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    I recently rid myself of a Marmot Medicine Bow 20 degree bag to finance a 3S Burrow. I couldn't handle the constrictive mummy shape. I'd definitely recommend using the Marmot bag as a topquilt – because for $75 you can't beat it. I'd trim off the zipper and the hood, but thats just me (I wouldn't like to carry the extra weight).

Sounds like you scored an awesome deal – if the topquilt idea doesn't work, at the very least sell the bag for a profit!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Funny how you never consider yourself claustrophobic till your freedom of movement is taken away from you. A few years back I was installing a bathroom fan from the crawl-space attic, and had to scoop out insulation, shove both arms out in front of me, and worm my way down in between the rafters to avoid the slanting roof. Finished the job, but could not back out. After three seconds of uncontrolled flailing (or attempted uncontrolled flailing--I really couldn't flail anything), I realized I was just wedging myself in. Deep breaths, then pushed my way back out with my fingertips--took me ten minutes. I still don't consider myself claustrophobic... but we don't play in the attic anymore either .

I'll just echo what most have said: can't afford to let go of the marmot at that price. Unzip her, leaving a bit zipped up at the bottom, and you've got a pretty darned good top quilt. Oh yeah, you might want to avoid the whole hammock sock thing .
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post

I'll just echo what most have said: can't afford to let go of the marmot at that price. Unzip her, leaving a bit zipped up at the bottom, and you've got a pretty darned good top quilt. Oh yeah, you might want to avoid the whole hammock sock thing .
    The hammock sock thing is not bad, as long as you leave yourself a "quick out", or at least have a way to get some quick fresh air if necessary.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    The hammock sock thing is not bad, as long as you leave yourself a "quick out", or at least have a way to get some quick fresh air if necessary.
    Perhaps a snorkel?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by timabababaluka; 09-02-2011 at 10:32. Reason: Had to include a farside flashback
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    On the one hand, trim it and use as a top quilt. Or dont trim and use it unzipped as a TQ.

On the other hand, I dont think this will ever work for you and keeping it is a terrible idea. I will be glad to buy it for 40% of what you paid since it is now a used bag.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Perhaps a snorkel?
    Fantastic comics. Love the FAR SIDE!

Sounds like you came out on top. Lots of choices fromm here (lucky you) - use as is, us as a quilt (unzippered), DIY mod of the bag, or sell for a profit to fund a proper TQ.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    If you don't convert it to a top quilt, maybe it would be best to find someone to gift it to who likes being so snug. Once wrapped tight, the temp value is the temp value, -- for you -- explaining why even serious makers like Western Mountaineering make so many mummy bags, for different temps.

Also explaining why WM makes some less restrictive bags, too.

As there are so many bags with the Marmot label, you will be hard-pressed to sell it for true value unless you can confirm the exact model. That's why I'd urge you re-purpose it, or gift it to someone who can use it and loves the feel.

Lots of people feel the way you do. It is informative to consider how mfgs come to produce them: Reduce, reduce, reduce. That is, rid the bag of surplus weight by minimizing the surface area through which body heat is lost. That shaves ounces from pack weight, which increases sales.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-02-2011 at 11:07. Reason: correction

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    On the one hand, trim it and use as a top quilt. Or dont trim and use it unzipped as a TQ.

On the other hand, I dont think this will ever work for you and keeping it is a terrible idea. I will be glad to buy it for 40% of what you paid since it is now a used bag.
    my comment was going to be "you can sell it for a tidy profit- anywhere but here(!) since we all now know what a steal you got." as illustrated above...^^
    KM(who congratulates you on a great find!)

Hammock
    dd frontline
    Tarp
    fox tarp
    Insulation
    thermarest prolite
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    In the winter, when I'm all wrapped up in the sleeping bag, I alway sleep with a neck knife on me. I'm just paranoid about being trapped in the mummy bag out of air.. I want to be able to get out quick if need be, therefore the knife around my neck.
    Comes from the days when I was sleeping in double mummy with one left hand zipper and one right hand zipper... when they cross at the face it can get stuffy real quick

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12