Best way to set up removable ridge line??

Hello all,

I received my Ultralight Travel hammock yesterday and spent time finding the sag that I like. Now, I would like to find the best way to be able to attach a ridgeline that could be removed when I like to lounge.

There seems to be a million different ways to add a ridge line. I want to add one that can be removable, something very simple. So far I have read that having a one end knotted onto the hammock and the other end attached with a biner is a great idea. But where exactly does the biner connect to on the hammock?? Do I need to make a knot on the suspension to attach the biner to? Any info would be great!

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I have my hammocks set up with carabiners that attach to the support lines. The ridge line is just a spectra cord with a figure 8 loop on each end that clips between the carabiners. Simplicity.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The easiest way IMHO would be to cut the line in the middle and then use a biner to connect the 2 pieces back together. I use a "ridge line thingy". You can see how I implemented it in my instructions for the DIY HH clone (link in my signature).
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    When my Hennessy was only a bottom entry I did it the way headchange4u describes only I cut my cord down by the slit entry. Just made it easier to reach in and unhook it when the hammock was already hanging.

Images
    one easy way is to just have a line with a loop tied in each end (i like the the overhand on a bight) to use it, simply thread the suspension through the loops.

it is easy to install, but would require you to put it on before setup, otherwise you would have to undo at least one end of the suspension to add/remove it. if you are using a ridgeline and putting load on it, simply un hooking it after everything is set up will effect the sag. i would think you either need it for the trees you are using or you don't. i don't understand why you would need to attach and re-attach in the same hang, like i said, if you are loading it for a long distance hang for example, un hooking it will likely put your butt on the ground, if you're not loading it, why use it at all.

you could add a biner to one or both loops, but would just have to figure in the length of the biner when figuring the distance of the rl.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    one easy way is to just have a line with a loop tied in each end (i like the the overhand on a bight) to use it, simply thread the suspension through the loops.

it is easy to install, but would require you to put it on before setup, otherwise you would have to undo at least one end of the suspension to add/remove it. if you are using a ridgeline and putting load on it, simply un hooking it after everything is set up will effect the sag. i would think you either need it for the trees you are using or you don't. i don't understand why you would need to attach and re-attach in the same hang, like i said, if you are loading it for a long distance hang for example, un hooking it will likely put your butt on the ground, if you're not loading it, why use it at all.

you could add a biner to one or both loops, but would just have to figure in the length of the biner when figuring the distance of the rl.

Very good point! Thanks for the info! I guess I should put the ridge line high enough so that when I lounge I won't hit my head on the ridge line! Is this what you do warbonnetguy?? I was just reading that this is what people do with the Hennessey hammocks, so I figured it must have been a good idea. I noticed though that I like my hammock to have larger angle when I am sitting in it, it cradles me much better then the tighter sag that I like when I am laying it. Hmmm....

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    If I don't load my ridgeline up it hangs high enough to not get in my way when I'm using the hammock as a chair...it I wanted to redo my present system and make it removable, all I would have to do it have a small biner at one end...since my ridgeline has some bungee cord on part of it I don't see reattaching it while in the hammock would present any problems...

• + New Posts