DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images

To quilt or not to quilt, that is the question... (now with picutures)

(Pictures are a few posts down, I pulled out the broken links and added them as attachments)

I put together an under quilt last weekend using two layers of Apex. One 2.5oz and one 5oz. I tried a little different construction method. I sewed the thinner insulation to the inner shell and the thicker to the outter shell. In both cases the shell was cut an extra inch wide/long (should have been more for the outter shell) and wrapped around the edge of the insulation and I sewed through all three layers. Then sandwiched the two layers together. I did a diff cut so I had some gathering to do when I did this but it was actually quite easy to sew this way.

I did not add any extra to the outer shell, I just went with the numbers from my diff calculation. I'm convinced this is perfect for the with, I might have been better to with just a bit extra length on the outer shell but it could be I just got a bit more fabric chewed up hemming around the insulation. The outer shell is snug over the insulation but I think it is just short of actually compressing it.

Ok, enough rambling on about my project... The quilt is 42x54 and I'm wondering if I need to put quilting loops in this or if that's unnecessary give then the sides are all sewn in.

Opinions please.
    Last edited by Merganser; 09-03-2011 at 10:01. Reason: Added pictures

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Do you have pictures for your under quilt?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Climashield literature touts the ability to span large gaps without the need for quilting. I imagine you're fine.
    I didn't bother quilting my Primaloft UQ, even though the literature says to quilt anything over 18"x18", and it's holding up fine after 3 seasons of normal use. It's also a 2-layer quilt, like yours: 6oz. and 3oz.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    provided niether one is double layer, just single 5oz apex, i have a TQ that is apporx 54" x 70" with a full taper and an UQ at about 38" - 44" - 38" full length 70" or so and i did not quilt either one. they have seen 7 nights on the trail so far with no issues. i would suggest that as long as you have a good edge seem all the way around go with it, take it for a weekend or two, or stuff it and remove multiple times and then reevaluate from there.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That sounds like a nice quilt! I'd love to see the pictures.
    I usually quilt my climashield quilts at approx. 18" on centers, but climashield is very stable stuff.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    My guess is that quilting comes into play when the quilt gets wet. If it gets saturated keep it flat or roll it and let it drain. If you pick it up by one end or edge the insulation will tear from the water weight.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I didnt take any pictures when I put this together because I had time constraints and that slows me down. I will snap a few photos of the finished uq and post them back here.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good plan. I've done similar with primaloft, except that I put a third layer between the two quilted ones, just sewn around the edges. It has worked fine for a couple of years, with no sign of insulation shifting. Quilting seams were crosswise on the top layer, about 24" apart. I used a single seam lengthwise for the bottom.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Here are some photos of the finished quilt. The body is rectangular. There is 3/32 shock cord and a cord lock on each end of the body to help gather it evenly.

IMG_4544.jpg

The quilt has 1.1oz fabric extending from the body towards the ends and is attached/adjusted with sort pieces of 1/8" shock cord threaded through a short piece of 7/64 amsteel. This just slips over the end mass and secures with a cord lock. There is shock cord through a hem on the end and a bit of nylon cord that raps over the ridge line to help keep more even tension on the extenstion/body (it's loose in the photo).

IMG_4543.jpgIMG_4546.jpg

The whole idea of this design is to get the UQ to behave like the body of the hammock. It works pretty well actually. This is the second UQ I've made with this basic design, the first was a retro-fit of a quilt I originally made with side channels and darts.

IMG_4545.jpgIMG_4547.jpg
    Last edited by Merganser; 09-03-2011 at 09:55.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good looking UQ you've built there, Merganser.

The way you've constructed the ends of your quilt with the extra fabric reminds me of how the SnugFit quilt was constructed.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast