Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Earlier this year a couple of friends of mine were planning a camping trip and one of them, who was a former Eagle Scout said he was going to be using a hammock. I said "Hammock"!!!! I then went home and searched the net about hammock camping and the rest is history........
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    A buddy gave me a backpack one day. So I did some surfing and stumbled onto Rocks site, did some of my own research and the next thing I knew I owned a HH. Won't sleep on the ground again!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had slept in a cheap old BX mesh hammock since I was about 17, but didn't really think anything about being a "hammock camper." Then I went hiking on the AT with a 50+ pound pack and decided there was a better way. After searching on TrailForums and WB, I saw some of the "real" camping hammocks and decided to give it a try, so I picked up a HH from my local outfitter. I think I found Risk's and Rock's sites around this time...which turned me on to homemade gear. My first project was a two-layer hammock based on Risk's design. I quickly figured out that CCF pads weren't for me and I sprung for the JRB set...and thus started my gear addiction.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images

A Life of Hangin'

I have always enjoyed resting and sleeping in an hammock at home.
    It is the only time my back does not hurt. ( Due to an old motorcycle accident. )

Yet I had never thought about camping with one...till one day I had reached a part of my life and wanted to escape the house and go simple.

Grabbed my big double wide rainbow hammock off the trees, bought a cheap plastic tarp from Wal-Mart for the rain and headed out. Spent 10 days out of 12 in the rain...but what a blast and have no regrets.

Except when forced to use a tent and hug the ground and certain trails above the treelines give you no choice. I found out about the Hennessy hammocks on eBay, bought one and then found the Siam hammock and got that one as well. Got hooked and bought the Byer and then made a few... meanwhile I found the Whiteblaze site and saw I was not the only one with a addiction

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    in may 2002 i did 7 day hike from damascus to pearisburg,i met a thru hiker
    with a hennessey hammock,he let try it out,that coming weekend when i got back to damascus for trail days i met tom hennessey and i bought a non asym ultralite hammock,the rest is history neo

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    Been crawling around the AT sites for nearly 3 years now. Discovered Hiking HQ and Sarge turned me on to hammocks. I would not be hiking without them. Sleeping on the ground is torture. I'd rather sleep against a tree than lie on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Saw a story about confluence points on tv got a GPS- Garmin's site lead me to backpacker, which started my internet searching- eventually I ended up at Risk's site and hammocks. Yay!

I love hiking- I hated the hard, cold existence of tents. Big tents, with limited positions to pitch. Slopes. Rocks. ARGH! I love hammocks.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Earlier this year a couple of friends of mine were planning a camping trip and one of them, who was a former Eagle Scout said he was going to be using a hammock. I said "Hammock"!!!! I then went home and searched the net about hammock camping and the rest is history........
    Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout.

I was working on staff at the 2005 National Scout Jamboree. On one of my days off I was touring around. In the Order of the Arrow display area Tom Hennessy had a starburst of HH's set up for demo-ing. I looked at them and he had me get in one. I was only there for a couple minutes and didn't think much about it but he did give me a 1 page flyer. It had info on his hammock, a discounted price for scouts and his web address. Early last fall I went to his website and began reading every word on it. I was intrigued, so I began searching hammocks...which led to WhiteBlaze...which led to Risk...which led to Jeff...which led to Sgt. Rock...which led to the Yahoo group...etc, etc. (not sure about the order). I bought an HH early last Fall and love it. I've since become addicted to hammocking (so I'm, glad we now have this therapy support group, LOL) and lightweight backpacking. My pack weight has gone from ~30-35 pounds,less food and water, to ~ 18 pounds.

I'm in the process of converting some of my friends. I bought a setup from millergear yesterday for one friend. He's going to lend it to the other friend to use the first weekend of January when we go on a 2 nighter on the Florida Trail through Eglin AFB.

Funny thing...I usually have my hammock set up on my hammock stand in the spare bedroom. As I was getting ready to go outside Tuesday night to test my new Nest my 17 year old son said he was going to sleep in my hammock that night. I told him it wasn't up there in the spare room because I was using it in the yard, but he could tie up my home made Speer type hammock to the stand. I didn't thing the was serious but when I came back in the next morning I found him asleep in the home made hammock. He even did it again last night! I may have to make him his own set up.
    Last edited by stoikurt; 03-16-2007 at 21:05.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    got back into camping after getting out of the military... as i got 'out of shape' (and older. or maybe just older) my pack seemed to get heavier. somehow, i discovered that there was something called "ultralight" backpacking, and that led me to SGT Rock's site about 3 years ago. googling the HH led me to Shane Steinkamp's and Risk's sites. i found some HHs on ebay and after a few tries, got one. haven't been to ground since then.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I had a trip planned for the AT through Massachusetts. I'd read about hammocks a bit on WB and was intrigued, but they were pretty much on the back burner, something to be considered after my trip.

A couple weeks before, I went on a two-nighter with a friend in Shenandoah. We had a miserable time trying to find a spot to camp (I had a tarp and pad) because everything was so overgrown.

That was what did it for me. I loved all the pictures of people hanging in strange places. So, I got a ULB from REI and took the plunge. I tried pads at home, but didn't like anything about them. I don't do down, so tried to have a synthetic underquilt made, but no one would do it. So, I bought a cheap sleeping bag and cut it up. It packed up miles better than my old tarp pad and kept me warm on the whole trip.

After all the reading I'd done on WB about them, I thought I'd see a bunch of hammocks on the trail, but mine was the only one. I got plenty of weird looks and questions, but I slept far and away better than I ever did in the woods before. That's also when I developed my hatred for shelters. Great for dinner, drinks, and talking, but give me my hammock off in a quiet corner of the woods any night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast