Question Keeping dry in a cloud - suggestions?

This last weekend I got rather wet up on Springer due to low clouds - the heavy mist would blow under the tarp, wet the sides and bottom of the hammock, wet the bug net and the underside of the tarp. The water soaked through the sides of the HH and dripped down through the bugnet from the tarp as well as from the bugnet itself.

I am looking for some ideas that address this particular problem.

A Garlington Taco or a Weather Shield type product would help quite a bit as would a Hammock Sock but I am somewhat concerned about the possibility of some buildup of condensation on the inside from my respiration.

Another thought I had was DWR treating the hammock to try to prevent the exterior wet from soaking through to the inside - anyone done this and has any observations about this technique? Does this create a possible hammock-bathtub?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    HOI... good to hear from you. haven't herd anything out of you since last year<g>.
    i don't think the DWR treatment would cause the bathtub effect. i believe ed speer & others have been in the habit of treating their hammocks w/ DWR in the winter months for that reason as well as a little more wind protection.
    i'll let others comment on condensation in hammock socks & travel pods since i haven't made one yet.
    how was springer?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    WET.........
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Images

Wet Hammock

HOI,

See attached pics of Hammock Tarptent as seen on WB. This should do the job. I asked one of the gear manufacturers (ID) to make this for me since I do not sew well. They declined.

Maybe Brian will offer Velcro closures as an option on the deluxe. I'd be the 1st customer.

Egads
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

tarp

jam up tarp got me 15 yards of 1.1 hum

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    HOI,

The JRB Weather Shield was designed for these conditions to keep UQ and TQ dry...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    HOI,

See attached pics of Hammock Tarptent as seen on WB. This should do the job. I asked one of the gear manufacturers (ID) to make this for me since I do not sew well. They declined.

Maybe Brian will offer Velcro closures as an option on the deluxe. I'd be the 1st customer.

Egads
    IMHO, the hex cat design wouldn't lend itself to that tarptent style setup very well. The ends of the hex shape are cut back to reduce weight and give a taut pitch, but this would kinda prevent the tarptent type end closures I think.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I was there too.

I had a bit of water pooled on the ccf mat sometime in the middle of the night. I just blotted it with my butt and went back to sleep.

I have doubts about the tarp tent working out too well. The wind was blowing with gusts to at least 20 and was swirling so as to come from constantly changing directions.

at various times, My tarp was blown into both sides of the hammock with enough force to rock the cradle. The larger side area of the tart tent might have been enough to launch me.

Brian and I talked about a hammock sock being an improvement???

Tom

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Youngblood said that tarptent works best for cold dry conditions. Otherwise, it's a condensation trap unless you ventilate the ends...which would let in the fog. On an ideal site he can tighten it down pretty good, but it's obviously not designed to withstand powerful gusts. Just guessing from looking at it when he brought it to Hot Springs, 20mph would cause some deflection but it would survive. I'm sure he'd discuss it if you emailed him about it...he's a really nice guy.

In some conditions, I think a sock would help protect the hammock, but breathable material only moves moisture when outside is less humid than inside...so in foggy conditions like that, you unlikely to move much body moisture - so you kinda have to deal with a higher level of moisture. You ARE outside, after all.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    As Pan said the weather shield would fit the bill. You could make your own with some WPB fabric. I spent close to 12 hours in my hammock sock in 15-30 degree weather when I tested it. I noticed some condensation, but not enough to be concerned about.

Make sure that the material is breathable. I spend 5 hours or so in one that was not breathable and had a lot of condensation on me, my bag, underquilt, and all over the sock.

You could try hanging your tarp so that the end into the wind is basically on the ground. This would stop any air from moving underneath.

Another thought would be to hang a tarp made out of WPB fabric over the ridgeline and netting. Have it hang down past the bottom of the HH a couple feet. This would also trap some heat in.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts