1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Using UQ and pad together

In the DIY section I have a thread about an unlabeled sleeping bag at a retail store. Customer service tells me the bag is rated for 10 degrees with 20 oz of fill (80% is unspecified down). I have my doubts because the bag is extremely thin and light. I want to use it as a UQ in 30 - 40 degrees.

If the bag turns out to be too cold. Can I use a UQ with a pad?

I am thinking UQ then pad then hammock then me.

My concerns are
    1 the weight and stiff shape of the pad will compress the UQ or cause gaps or both
    2 it will be uncomfortable

Has anybody used a pad and UQ combo to get some extra warmth?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    If the bag turns out to be too cold. Can I use a UQ with a pad?
    Yes.

My concerns are
    1 the weight and stiff shape of the pad will compress the UQ or cause gaps or both...
    The pad needs to be in the hammock, preferably between the layers of a double layer hammock.
    2 it will be uncomfortable
    Some find pads uncomfortable, I don't. A hammock is more comfortable with just an UQ, but to say a pad is uncomfortable is kinda a stretch (for me anyways).
    I can take my UQ down to about 15F, but with the pad I can get below -0F.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Images

Many times!! I have a double layer hammock that works great for this, but have used the pad in the hammock with a single layer model. Worked better, as I didn't have to worry about it moving underneath me, in the double layer. I most assuredly got extra warmth from using the pad/UQ like this!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I have a double hammock just for that purpose. So when it's really cold I can use the pad in between the layers of the hammock for extra insulation along with my underquilt.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    I have a double hammock just for that purpose. So when it's really cold I can use the pad in between the layers of the hammock for extra insulation along with my underquilt.
    Heck yes, the more layers the merrier-- its the pack weight and bulk that becomes an issue, as well as expense.

I'm going to try a space blanket with/without a pad between the layers too. I'm assuming the pad will take care of my core and the space blanket will cut wind and fill in the borders of the pad for a little more heat.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    U bet UR bippy.
    I hang where night temps are usually about 15 winter to 45 max in summer. Depending on expected temps I switch UQs between long or about half length, pad from very thin foam to NeoAir, sleepbag among 40*, 30* or 20*, sleeping clothing also variable and optional.
    Once you've done it a few times planning and executing it are second nature.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    As mentioned in many threads , the pad does tend to shift in a single layer and usually leave you with Cold Shoulder Syndrome, which can be avoided by using a SPE or adding 'wings'. I have used both a wool blanket and a sleeping bag , on seperate occasions, using the 'wool blanket wrap' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx38g...r-S-Q&index=17 to help alleviate the CSS. You can wrap what needs wrapping and unwrap what doesnt, but what i liked (having neither SPE or wings) is it kept my shoulders and face warm as it acted as insulation and wind block on a cool, damp, rainy and WINDY night at 45 Fahrenheit. I actually ended up skinning down below the belt and unwrapping my torso ( i was wearing a t shirt and wool sweater), but keeping the blanket under my shoulders and protecting my face. Man that wind was cool when i poked my head up, but was able to read and sleep in comfort. I did rewrap my torso as the night progressed and morning approached.

But hey, that is just me. Remember, test your system when you have an easy bail out plan, like nipping in through your back door and curlin' up with the bride The bears will appreciate your extra planning, they like warm burritos because the frozen ones are hard to chew!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    In fall or spring (being in Canada) I bring extra with me when I can. My next car camping trip will have 3 season UQ, pad, summer TQ, wool blanket, and extra sleeping bag (plus long johns, fleece jacket, touque...).

Canoeing I'd leave the extra bag at home and backpacking I'd bring a cold weather mummy bag instead of a TQ.

And yes, double layer for the pad or the blanket.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    Shamu IX
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I did it a few weeks ago in a pinch, I was perfectly comfortable and warm... maybe a little bit too warm. You will want to be careful if your pad is a vapor barrier you could wind up with quite a bit of moisture at the bottom of the hammock in the morning.

• + New Posts