WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

converting a claytor to whoopies

I just converted my claytor no net to whoopie slings. I had read in several other posts, that when whoopie slings are attached in the conventional method (larkspur thru the channel) it tends to make the end of the hammock tighter, causing shoulder pinch. Im a pretty broad shouldered guy, and really like that unique feature of the claytor---that center channel on the ends----so you can put youre feet in the middle if you want to. So, I took some of my old webbing, ran it thru the end channel, and sewed it together in about a foot and a half loop. I then attached the whoopie sling to the strap using a larkspur. This has allowed me to use whoopie slings, while maintaining a wider end of the hammock. Sorry no pictures yet! I also sewed a d ring onto the strap, as high up as I could get it---and used it for a structural ridge line, and attatch point for my bug net, and peapod straps. Has anyone ever tried this before? I did a test hang last night and it seemed to work really well!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Does the Claytor passively encourage some separation of the ends of the end channels with its stock loop of suspension sending strands to both sides of the tree, or does it somehow otherwise enforce that separation with some spreader mechanism?

I'm assuming it is the first. In which case a test whether those strands matter for comfort could be done as simply by rotating the hammock 360 degrees on axis, readjusting the lines so the virtual ridgeline / ie hang angle is the same.

I'm very curious about alterations like this. I've threaded a 3" x 1/2 irrigation system plastic coupling nipple -- 75 c -- through the channels of a Clark, and then run whoopies through them. That means the end channel can spread itself out as it wants to across three full inches, instead of crowding down at the end of a narrow rope loop (or the slightly wider loop in the polyprop rope Clark furnishes as stock.)

I can't say what difference it makes, but I think that's my fault for not being a sensitive enough instrument, and from not setting the virtual ridgeline exactly the same and varying its length with carefull observations. So the optimal with the slightly spread channel may be better at some ridgeline length than the concentrated one, but I don't that.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I thought about trying your idea,--------running the hammock support line thru a tube---and then running it the the end channel, but I was worried about possibly placing stress the end channel that it was never designed to handle. Did it seem to eliminate shoulder pinch/make the hammock a little wider?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    I have tried using a 5/8's inch climbing rope through the channel which was tied as close to the 12" diameter tree as possible. This did indeed spread the channel out a bit, but I still felt as if the sides were being pulled up and the end channel was still in a slight U shape.
    I was considering a short spreader bar in the channel (probably a bad idea) when I tried the warbonnet gather method. I have settle on this as the most comfortable for me. If you like to tinker give it a try, ya might like it!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Stretch, I thought about a spreader bar also, but decided not to risk it. With the warbonnet whip, does it make the hammock narrower on the ends? I was just watching a shug video, and noticed how he is able to lay at a diagonal-almost 45 degrees? on his diy hammock. That doesnt work for me---Im 6'5", and in the claytor I can lay at a small angle diagonally, combined with a structural ridge line with the right amount of sag, and a leg pillow ----------that seems to work really well ! I did a test hang last week, and was really comfortable! Maybe thats the secret, keep messing around with your hammock until you come up with something that works for you! Lots and Lots of practice!

--unknown

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    The whip itself will be slightly more narrow, but you make up for that by not having the tight sides that restrict the diagonal lay by pushing your shoulder/feet away from the edge. It seems to me I lay flatter due to the sides of the hammock not being made taunt by the channel being pulled into a U shape.
    If you like have a look at knotty's tutorial to see how easy it would be to test:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

Tarp
    Ghetto Tarp
    Insulation
    Squirrels
    That sounds nice.

• + New Posts