Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

DIY sil tarp with minimal sewing & Head strap

I used 2nd run silnylon to make a 12 x 8’ tarp, I sewed the two pieces together and found the slippery sil so frustrating to work with I needed a new way to make my tie outs.
    I started with a 3/8” steel ball bearing, I placed it 1” in from the corner and brought the end of the nylon under and whipped the ball in place with a 550 paracord inner strand. I then tightened a double Girth hitch knot on the inside of the whipping, after completing the 4 corners a storm came in (Colorado storms move fast) and I got to test the 4 corners done as stated above in 30+mph winds. The wind kept switching directions so both sides of the tarp got a workout…I checked the tie outs after 1 hour of crazy winds and all 4 looked great.

After thinking about what the steel ball was doing I realized that the ball size was not important, so I swapped all the steel ball bearings with airsoft pellets (plastic BB’s). I tried to weight the 10 airsoft pellets I needed to do all my tie outs and they were less than 1 gram for the 10 of them. With 6 tie outs and 2 door tie outs per side I was able to complete all ten in under 15 minutes…not bad. Yes some water does collect at the tie outs, but it is a tiny amount.
    I hope this helps some people making a DIY tarp.

Head strap: I had never heard of this until I read about them in an old camping book. I made mine with 1.1oz ripstop with dimensions of 5” x 24” I just tied knots at each end, I went with 1.1 ripstop because it will let me head breath better than a heavier fabric. I attach the strap near the top of the backpack closest to my back and set it up so when I put it on my head and loosen the shoulder straps just a little it takes all the load without having to adjust my waist belt. All you have to do is re-tighten the shoulder straps and the head straps falls forward over your chest.
    I really works great, not hard on my neck at all with my 25 pound fully loaded backpack. Used with the waist belt it is a great relief to not have any load on my shoulders… it is so light and easy to make…give it a try!!

Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Two great ideas! TheJan/Feb issue had an article about tumplines, now that I've located it I'll have to reread the article. This may get incorporated into the pack I'm working on.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    very cool olddog...now I know what they are called...and it does work great.

I just found out about Huarache Running Sandals and made a pair out of a bit of old runner carpet just to see if I liked them and being a barefoot kind of guy I LOVE THEM!! I am hooked! If you like the barefoot feel they are the BOMB!!

Vince

Vince

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    nice easy no fuss way to make a tarp!

I like the head strap but especially like the sandals!!

thanks for sharing

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnya42 View Post
    very cool olddog...now I know what they are called...and it does work great.

I just found out about Huarache Running Sandals and made a pair out of a bit of old runner carpet just to see if I liked them and being a barefoot kind of guy I LOVE THEM!! I am hooked! If you like the barefoot feel they are the BOMB!!

Vince
    I tried making a pair a while back, using some thick leather I have. I was trying to make some that slipped on, but didn't go between your toes (I loathe that). I used tabs to attach the straps, so you don't walk on them and wear them down. Of course, my tabs weren't perfectly positioned on my first try, and I discovered the dog REALLY loves chewing raw leather

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    I am looking for some cheap leather to make a good pair...I will keep my eyes open.

VInce

Vince

• + New Posts