Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Top-Quilt Alternatives

Hello all. I've been sleeping in my hammock in my sleeping bag thus far. But frankly, I've gotten tired of wiggling into my sleeping bag every night. It's very time-consuming. I recently ordered a Jarbidge under-quilt, along with a Maccat Deluxe, and I really can't afford to spend $180 on a top quilt. What, if any, are my alternatives?

I've been looking at Fleece sleeping bag liners. Maybe the Sea to Summit thermolite liner? I know that they're rated to around 50˚ on their own, but how about with a Jarbidge UQ? I know these wouldn't work for a winter hammock, but would it be feasible to go down to the mid-to-high 40s in combination with an underquilt?

I've also got a down blanket that I found at Goodwill. It's around 1.5 lbs, but doesn't have very much down/loft. Maybe I could sew this into a TQ?

Has anyone had any luck using any type of blanket?

If I must resort to a topquilt, what are some of the better models out there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to thank you all for enabling my new addiction....You hear that?!!! ENABLERS!!!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    When its warm I use my trusty military poncho liner. When its colder I use my down sleeping bag as a quilt.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Personally I have no problem with being an enabler, let Dr Phil yell at me all he wants I'll convert him to hammock life soon enough. As for a make shift TQ you can simply unzip your sleeping bag to use as a TQ, or use that nifty Goodwill find of yours as well. Top insulation seems to not need to be as beefy as bottom insulation to keep you toasty warm.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I would use the sleeping bag you have. Unzip it most of the way, leaving just enough to make a foot box. Drape it over yourself and enjoy the heat.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    check the $100 pertex top quilt thread, thats the best deal I came across

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have a Stoic Vamp 30 down sleeping bag that I use as a TQ for the fall and winter. I took the zipper out, it weighs 33 ounces, and I am sure I could get something lighter...but I can't see dropping another $150 or so to trim 8 or 10 ounces...at least not now. I use a silk bag liner for warm weather or a fleece liner sometimes.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest and Reactor
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Thermarest and bag
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    The liners are usually much thinner and thus harder to get into requiring even more wriggling than a sleeping bag. The thermolite liner is incredibly warm for it's size. But it's very difficult to get into. Think pantyhose for an elephant leg and you get the gist. Cut open it might make a good bottom side of a synthetic TQ. I say synthetic because I seriously doubt it would hold in down. A few layers of it might make a good TQ batting. Hmmm... Now you have me thinking...

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    gunner76: Do you (or anyone for that matter) know how much a military ponch liner ways? Would a dual use be to layer with this? Any other uses?

Catavarie: I've definitely entertained the idea of using my sleeping bag as a top-quilt, but at nearly 3lbs, it's a lot of weight, especially when combined with an underquilt. I'd like to shave some weight without spending too much money. I'm afraid the blanket might not have enough down to take me below 50˚.

itsjustbusiness999: That is tempting!!!!! I'm trying not to spend that much money though. I'm wondering if anyone has tested this with an underquilt, and can comment on its temp. rating?

flannery: You're probably right about the sleeping bag liners. Maybe I would be better off buying a large piece of fleece and sewing a top-quilt of sorts.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I bought a $10.00 fleece blanket at WM cut into 2 pieces, sewed footboxes in them. I use one every night, I keep the AC down low. If it's real cold the footbox of one will slip into the other. Noticed they are back in our stores now.The twin is $5.00, queen/king is $10.00, you can't buy this much fabric for $10.00.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.1 Single Layer
    Tarp
    BWD WinterDream
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ & Syn TQ
    Suspension
    2mm Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've made two of these top quilts. They are really simple and cheap to make. I bought my insulation from SeattleFabrics. I used one layer of PrimaLoft Insulation for my summer quilt (I've used it down to 40º) and two layers for my winter quilt (down to 10º).

• + New Posts