Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    1 week to advance party arrival! Can't wait! See y'all there!
    This very thought was on my mind this morning too! So hard not to start packing the gear and loading the car right now. I gots ta' go!!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    . . . .So hard not to start packing the gear and loading the car right now. . . .
    Are you kidding? I've got all my gear for the night at Wise laid out on the extra bed, junk on the bunk style. Ready to go, but first, SoRuck this weekend.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird 1.7dl
    Tarp
    macCat Deluxe&wb s
    Insulation
    Stormcrow bq&tq
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    People usually do pretty good by doing things like having overnight water in bottles they trust to sleep w/, burying them in the snow & things like that.
    I think some kept their water from freezing simply by keeping it in a cooler this past Jan. BTW, we were car camping in the same group site area that we will be using for the Grayson County Fall Festival Hang for anyone who didn't make the connection.
    Iam hoping to make it. Thanks for the info. hope to see you there.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Bear Chaser and I are not sure if we are coming Thursday or Friday yet. Depends on work and weather. Does that cause a problem.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Does that cause a problem.
    Not even remotely.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Are you kidding? I've got all my gear for the night at Wise laid out on the extra bed, junk on the bunk style. Ready to go, but first, SoRuck this weekend.
    I'm missing something.... what's the "night at Wise"? Are we not all staying in one place?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Joey,

Some people coming in Thursday are hiking up to Wise Shelter for the night and then coming back to Hang area for weekend hang on Friday thru Sunday.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I'm missing something.... what's the "night at Wise"? Are we not all staying in one place?
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Some people coming in Thursday are hiking up to Wise Shelter for the night and then coming back to Hang area for weekend hang on Friday thru Sunday.
    What she said. You're more than welcome to join us.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    What she said. You're more than welcome to join us.
    Sounds great!!! What's the hike distance? I've got maps coming, but won't be delivered until Monday. ---- what ever the distance, I'm sure I'll join ya'll.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    From the country store parking lot it's only a 40 minute hike if snow's not too deep caused by some "freak" snow storm. There used to be a map on HF with the trail to shelter marked in red. I don't know where that went to.

Here are instructions I've gleaned from past posts. Hope it helps more than it confuses!

-81.49858 36.65392

-----------------------------------
    Good Weather Link posted by Grizz from 2009 Hang

Grizz: I wondered where Refrigerator was getting these NOAA forecasts. The NOAA site of course, but how to dial in to Wise Shelter? The lat/long is embedded in the URL. The forecast seems tuned to 2 significant digits in the coordinates.

---------------------------------------

Doctari,
    The trail to the Wise from the parking lot near the group campground is mostly easy as it is an abandoned gravel road. There is one semi substantial creek crossing at around the half way point: average depth about 8' to 2' depending on flow. 15' to 30' wide, again, depending on flow. Plus another creek that is mostly a swampy area a little further on.

After you pass through the gate/stile: you cross a tiny stream (1 step across) then the trail goes a bit left & up, at the top of the hill, on your left is a gate, it's been open the past 3 years, go thru that gate, then bear (roughly) NNW, OR follow the faint former farm road up to the AT, then turn right to see the shelter. If , on the main trail, you come to a deep & wide river (stream?) after going thru the gate, you went to far, go back & look for the gate that will now be on your right.

Remember: If you come to a gate that is closed, close it after you pass thru, it it is open, leave it open!!!!

I believe there are a few places in the area that sell firewood, at least for at the group site. I know I saw signs after we went thru Damascus.
    -------------------
    The trail from Massy is marked with light blue or white blazes. I haven't hiked that in winter, yet. And haven't hiked from Massy to the AT, so not sure. In summer, the AT is super easy to follow there, if there is any snow cover I can see it being SUPER difficult, as there are few trees (most of the blazes, at least to my memory, were on rocks on the ground & otherwise) so no tree lined path to follow. The AT from the Massy gap trail Jct to the Wise shelter is beautiful! Assuming you don't get lost, it is a worthy hike! Keep your camera warm & handy, you will need it!!!!

Be advised that there are a few rocks to climb over, around & down, possibly slippery rocks.

-----------------------------------------

Slowhike
    Doctari is right, the trail & hike to Wise shelter from the "Backpacker's Parking" area at Massi Gap should not be underestimated. I'd give it at least 3 hours, give or take, depending on snow. But that's just a guesstimation since it's been years since I hiked it.

From the parking lot

i will lay out some basic info on getting to wise shelter. check & make sure i have it right.

hwy 58 in VA. will take you to the entrance to greyson highlands state park.http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm

when you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.

1st you will come to the check-in booth which will be un-attended this time of year.

as you continue up the park road you will pass the enterance to the picknic area on the right. a little ways farther, you will turn into the paved road leading to the camp ground. these are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.

as soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight packpacking on the left, but unless you plan to hike in by a longer route, keep going on the camp ground road.

as you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".

strait across, on the left, is the parking area that will get you closest to wise shelter.

last time i was there, they had a port-a-john in that little parking area, but i don't know if they leave those out all year or not.

at the back-side of the parking lot, you'll see a wide, gated, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.

there are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trai is obvious & you just stay on that.

you will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.

after 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.

take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at wise shelter.

the whole walk took me about 40 minutes.

-------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    same old note wrt the second creek crossing:

"btw about the directions in post #2 above - you can avoid the last stream crossing (a fairly significant stream unlikely to be rock hopable IMO) by looking for a stile in the fence to the left as you are walking in - the stile connects to a field that is below the shelter - hike up hill through field to AT. Another technique is to walk to the stream then hang a left going along the fence - you will shortly come to the AT at the foot bridge - left on AT for shelter - right to cross bridge and up the bank for the camping area I am going to use. Note the stile (a zigzag type) is fairly close to the stream as I recall - a couple hundred feet or so IIRC."

In addition to the stile there is also a gate to an old road next to the stile - if you go through the gate and follow the old road trace you will cross the trail between the Wise Shelter and the spring for the shelter - hang a right (slightly up hill) on trail and you will reach the shelter shortly. If you continue on the trace you will hit the AT - go right to reach the shelter.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 01-12-2012 at 16:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast