WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    On the calendar. Have enough of the right gear now to put this in the realm of feasibility.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    DIY/Down&ENO Vulca
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think I will try to be there on the 19th thru 21st. Looking forward to it!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    News everybody:
    Bit the bullet, using vacation time to go to the hangout. MAY be changing jobs though by end of next week, new boss said I can get that weekend off, so either way, "I'll be there God willing & if the crik don't rise"

If same employer, me get there Wed. New guy, I get there Thurs.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    "I'll be there God willing & if the crik don't rise"..Be careful Doctari..that's what my Mother used to tell my Father when she would leave to go somewhere. He would just look at her and say " What do you want me to do? Pray for RAIN"
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Images
    weather permitting the 600 mile drive, kaia and i might go for it.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird 1.7dl
    Tarp
    macCat Deluxe&wb s
    Insulation
    Stormcrow bq&tq
    Suspension
    webbing
    I am planing to go to big freeze. Thanks for all the info Doctari .
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I'm really interested in this as I would love to make more group hangs and also get some experience in winter hanging. However, I've never hung or camped at all in temps below the low 20s, so I'm also a bit terrified! I think I've seen snow once before...maybe...the cold white stuff, right? Backyard tests won't get me anywhere near those temps. I've got a WBBB DL, Mamba Jamba tarp, winter Incubator, and a 0F sleeping bag to use as a tq, but absolutely no experience in those temps and no down clothing. I guess I'll have to stock up on a few things if I want to make this happen! What do all the arctic experts recomend? Is my sleep system adequate with an added breath condensation bib?
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good questions. I can't address your sleeping setup, but remember that half your time will be spent out of the hammock. Don't forget adequate clothing and footwear. It's a car-camping situation with a lot of experienced winter campers around, so it's a good place to try winter camping, but don't hesitate to get help and advice from others, before the hang and while there.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    I'm really interested in this as I would love to make more group hangs and also get some experience in winter hanging. However, I've never hung or camped at all in temps below the low 20s, so I'm also a bit terrified! I think I've seen snow once before...maybe...the cold white stuff, right? Backyard tests won't get me anywhere near those temps. I've got a WBBB DL, Mamba Jamba tarp, winter Incubator, and a 0F sleeping bag to use as a tq, but absolutely no experience in those temps and no down clothing. I guess I'll have to stock up on a few things if I want to make this happen! What do all the arctic experts recomend? Is my sleep system adequate with an added breath condensation bib?
    It's really hard to say: "Sure, that will work for you!" because we all sleep differently. I am pretty sure that MY set up would leave you "Freezing to death". Your's seems adequate, , , at least for me. Some questions YOU need to ask yourself: Do I sleep cold? At 20 degrees (that you mention getting down to) would my set up be enough? Would it get me to lower temps? How much lower?? Is that enough?!?!?
    A few air activated heat packs can compensate for not quite enough insulation. Take a tip from me, do NOT pre-treat as in don't activate the hot pack as you get in bed. I did that once & got WAY too hot, so I sweated, then got wet. Thankfully I noticed it early & was able to dry off [cooled off, changed clothes, aired out the insulation as best I could in 14 degree weather & started over.] & get back to sleep.
    AND, hard as it is to imagine, Most Importantly (after adequate insulation) can you ventilate your shelter enough? Poor ventilation means more condensation, more condensation means you are getting wet, getting wet means getting COLD! You don't have to sleep "Out in the open" but a fully sealed shelter is a bad thing. Many feel that sealing all of the gaps will keep the cold out, and to a point it will, but it will also keep the moisture you generate in.

For more hints, start at the beginning of this thread & adapt to what fits your style of sleeping. Still got questions, ask away.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Thanks, Doc. I did read the whole thing which is part of the reason for my terror . All kidding aside, I think I can make this happen. I've never used the Incubator and 0F bag together, much less supplemented them with hand warmers, hot water bottles, or very warm clothes. Often, I have purposely vented the Incubator to use it in 25-50F degree nights. I've definitely got some more room to go lower.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast