Images

PLTQ footbox question

OK I got a surplus poncho liner that I plan on using as a TQ. My question is, what do you do about a footbox?
    I searched the forum but couldn't find anything that addressed this. I don't want to do any cutting because I may try the no sew UQ with the liner. I want to explore both options TQ & UQ before I buy any more liners.

I already have a DIY UQ that I was given and one I made myself. I don't have a TQ.

Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    If your just experimenting clip 2 small holes in the corners at one end and thread a small cord thru the edging. Drawing it tight will close the end forming something of a footbox. This is assuming you're using the PL full length. There's plenty of room in the edging. An easy way is to use a saftey pin with cord attached. Push pin thru channel pulling cord. That's how I worked the shock cord thru my sewn PLUQ.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I don't bother with a footbox, just lift your feet a bit, and flip the corners under them.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    heres what i did for both running cord and the TQ (not finished yet, but soon)

to test it out as a TQ, i simply tied the middle and bottom laces together.

to MAKE it, run cord of choice thru the bottom channel (more on this in a second) with a cord lock on the end of one end. sew some omni tape on the trim of the lower 1/3rd of it to make it close and reopen to a full blanket.

if you want a permanent foot box, still run the cord in the bottom, tighten and tie it off in the closed position since you wont be opening it. then overlap the trim pieces, making them even, and stitch over it if you can. or sew near the stitched edge of the trim, like a shirt and turn the whole thing inside out.

ok,about running cord. since i went with the no sew PLUQ route i learned some tricks:

1: heat a small knife (swiss army works awesome) tip in a candle and use the heated end to burn/cut a slit to insert cord of choice.

2: use a straightened coat hanger and some paint tape to run the cord thru. use as little tape as possible, and:

3: when making cuts and running the cord, i was worried about the cord pulling on the openings and ripping, so i took a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the area where the laces are sewn apart. if youll see a tiny area of fabric where it is dead on the corner, and has stitching reinforcing above and below where youll be cutting. so youll run the cord out of those holes, boxed in by the laces on the sides and stitches on the top and bottom. this leaves one thing to worry about: when you run the cords down the length, theres a lace in the middle. i run the coat hanger from one side to the other, between the stitching, the out the other side and attach it to the cord, pulling it back thru the stitching.

you now have 3 points of reinforcement on each side.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

two buttons and some lacing

How about making a couple of button loops out of lacing and then just put the buttons on one side through the loops on the other side,,, similar to a pull cord to draw the sides together and form a box of sorts for the feet.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by jima59 View Post
    How about making a couple of button loops out of lacing and then just put the buttons on one side through the loops on the other side,,, similar to a pull cord to draw the sides together and form a box of sorts for the feet.
    well if you want to do it the easy way....

actuall, i think that could be it. the loop toggle thing, like you see on some "fancy" jackets.

Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Mamba/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    How about snaps? I'm thinking of making up a PLTQ, and i just saw snap kits at Joanns. Then you can us it as a regular blanket, or a TQ with a footbox.

• + New Posts