Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin_bound View Post
    Haven't built this yet, but have been reading up in preperation....so I'll answer as best I can, I'm sure someone will correct me if I get something wrong!
    Thanks for responding, Alogonquin_bound.
    I went ahead and built the 9ft but it's too big for my 5'11" frame I think. I have to choose between shelf access or foot box comfort. I can't comfortably reach both at once.
    You're right.
    I extended the body to keep the net out of the end channel & stopped the zip 14" from the ends.

Building the 8ft now just to see what it's like.
    Last edited by kerryandjane; 08-29-2014 at 12:10.

Your welcome!! Now I will pick your brain a bit to learn from your experience.....

I'm 6' 1", and don't see a couple inches difference of height would make a significant difference in how the hammock would feel for me. That's only 1 inch difference at the foot/head end in either direction. Could be more variation in my position (front to back), when I actually get into hammock each time.

In the the new blackbird XLC, the footbox is further back from the foot end than the old style blackbird. I was thinking to try that approach in my build. With your experience with these plans, how much further back do you think the footbox would have to be for you to be comfortable? Just looking for an opinion, or best guess.... Theres a few post's in this thread from those finding the footbox 'too high' in any of the larger versions. Maybe moving it back a bit I can avoid that....

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin_bound View Post
    I'm 6' 1", and don't see a couple inches difference of height would make a significant difference in how the hammock would feel for me. That's only 1 inch difference at the foot/head end in either direction. Could be more variation in my position (front to back), when I actually get into hammock each time.

In the the new blackbird XLC, the footbox is further back from the foot end than the old style blackbird. I was thinking to try that approach in my build. With your experience with these plans, how much further back do you think the footbox would have to be for you to be comfortable? Just looking for an opinion, or best guess.... Theres a few post's in this thread from those finding the footbox 'too high' in any of the larger versions. Maybe moving it back a bit I can avoid that....
    After building the 9ft and 8ft (and failing the 10ft) I'm happy with the smaller 8ft hammock.

I heard Brandon mention the closer footbox on his xlc intro video. Sounds interesting. After seeing your question I went to the drawings I re-traced into another programme to see if I could work out how different .... but no cigar. The 9' hammock foot box felt about about a foot too far away from memory. I was moving about a foot either way to get the foot box/shelf.

I'm travelling on business so i'll string it up when I get home on Friday/Sat to confirm.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcsteve View Post
    Okay, I finally finished my version of the "Warbird". Just got back the other day from a two day trip to the Eight Lakes Basin in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness here in Oregon. It was a great trip and I got to test both my hammock and my DIY tarp in some varied weather. I am proud to say that both passed with flying colors.

I modified my version from the original plans for the 8ft model by adding a zipper all the way around allowing the bug net to be zipped off and stowed in the foot end of the hammock. I also used Amsteel UCRs for the suspension, and Lash-it for the SRL. Its comfortable, but I wish I would have gone with my gut and built the 10' model. I think that would have been more appropriate for my 6'2" 220lb frame.

Attachment 91795

Just noticed the pic isn't focused very well... dang it. It was the only one I took too. LOL
    I may be misunderstanding something but I can't find the ends to turn a zipper into a separating zipper with any of the zipper vendors. Do you not need the end like you use at the bottom of a coat to clip the zipper together?
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

No, you don't need the ends, but the are nice to have. Just more of a fiddle factor with out them.

What I did was leave one half of the zipper a little long, and sew it on in a way that the slider cant slip all the way off, or loop a small zip-ty around the teeth near the end. That way it will slide off the short side of the zipper, making the net removable, but slider will still be attached to the zipper. Bug net can be reattached again same way as you attached the slider originally....

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Thanks, I guess I will proceed accordingly...
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    One last, probably dumb question. When going with a removable top, does this require 2 zippers, do you relocate the zipper above the location it is in the plans, or do you simply run the zipper between the body and the window piece but all the way around?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Are you trying to do a fully detachable bugnet? Or one that can zip mostly off, and be stored in a compartment built into the hammock?

If fully removable you'll need a separating zipper. You can't make these yourself, they must be bought as the hardware to make them is a machine applied when the zipper is made. They can be shortened, however (re removing material off the top).

The number of zippers is up to you. If doing a stowable, 1 continuous zipper with 2 sliders will be fine. If doing a removable you can also, if you use a 2 way separating zipper, and you can find a zipper long enough, but keep in mind where the zipper siders will be when closed. Don't put them out of reach!

The longest separating zipper I've found is from DIY Gear Supply - 240" #5 coil. http://diygearsupply.com/product/two...rating-zipper/

A #3 coil would be lighter, but I can't find anything long enough. This zipper also has double pull slider's so it's accessible from inside or outside the hammock.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I am wanting to do a separating zipper. Here is my thought though. What would prevent using a long coil zipper off of a spool and simply creating an end lock with hook and loop. Hem in loop on both sides of the zipper and put a single piece of hook over it when it needs to stay together. Put a double pull on from both directions and then once a year when you want to switch the bug net for a winter top you unhook the velcro, swap, and you are in business. Move the pulls together on the side you want to enter and exit from and you are in business.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    I am wanting to do a separating zipper. Here is my thought though. What would prevent using a long coil zipper off of a spool and simply creating an end lock with hook and loop. Hem in loop on both sides of the zipper and put a single piece of hook over it when it needs to stay together. Put a double pull on from both directions and then once a year when you want to switch the bug net for a winter top you unhook the velcro, swap, and you are in business. Move the pulls together on the side you want to enter and exit from and you are in business.
    I've done a similar thing before...the only thing is there is no nice plastic guide to help the zipper slider on the coil. No biggie if you only switch a couple times a year. It can be a pain to line up the zipper side correctly by not a deal breaker.
    My head is an animal

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast