DIY TheXringHunt 9' WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Ridgerest & WM Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by okinaw55 View Post
    This is my first post and was glad to see this thread still active. I have built the 9' plans exactly to spec but I don't know what I did wrong. My footbox seems way too small and way too high in the hammock (in fact its useless and not functional). Is it a matter of getting this hung correctly or did I mess up somewhere, ridgeline too long / short? I'm really disappointed because I put a lot of work into this thing and I'm not a very good sewer. I looked at the pictures of one hanging on page 5 of this thread and my footbox looks 1/3rd the size.

Can anyone help the new guy? Thanks. Btw .. this is my first hammock, never even sat in one before and I'm really hoping to become a convert.

Edit:
    I just found a picture in that thread that someone posted that looks exactly like my footbox.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1&d=1368814554
    How is that ever going to work that high and small?
    Hey, that's my hammock!

What Skeetrock said is right, your feet don't go into the triangle piece of fabric, the triangle is only there to lower that section of the hammock creating sort of a pocket for your feet to go into. Your feet should stay on the main fabric panel.

I can attest to you that the hammock you posted a photo of is responsible for the most comfortable week's sleep this guy has ever had in the BWCA.

For reference, my ridgeline came in right at 109" on my 9' version of this design.

Let me know if you have any questions as I couldn't be happier with mine (my first time ina hammock to).

-schaapj

Quote Originally Posted by schaapj View Post
    Hey, that's my hammock!

What Skeetrock said is right, your feet don't go into the triangle piece of fabric, the triangle is only there to lower that section of the hammock creating sort of a pocket for your feet to go into. Your feet should stay on the main fabric panel.

I can attest to you that the hammock you posted a photo of is responsible for the most comfortable week's sleep this guy has ever had in the BWCA.

For reference, my ridgeline came in right at 109" on my 9' version of this design.

Let me know if you have any questions as I couldn't be happier with mine (my first time ina hammock to).

-schaapj
    Interesting that you used it for the BWCA .. thats the reason I am making mine as well. Are you a member of the BWCA.com forums? Any way, its too late to keep it the way it was because I just pulled the seam out along the footbox side. Someone from the BWCA.com forums is mailing me their WBBB so I can get measurements from it and I will probably tweak it a bit from there. I laid in the first prototype and I found it impossible to get remotely flat so not sure how you were able to do it.

Hammock
    ENO Double deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Cat-cut Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Okay, I finally finished my version of the "Warbird". Just got back the other day from a two day trip to the Eight Lakes Basin in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness here in Oregon. It was a great trip and I got to test both my hammock and my DIY tarp in some varied weather. I am proud to say that both passed with flying colors.

I modified my version from the original plans for the 8ft model by adding a zipper all the way around allowing the bug net to be zipped off and stowed in the foot end of the hammock. I also used Amsteel UCRs for the suspension, and Lash-it for the SRL. Its comfortable, but I wish I would have gone with my gut and built the 10' model. I think that would have been more appropriate for my 6'2" 220lb frame.

IMG_5412.jpg

Just noticed the pic isn't focused very well... dang it. It was the only one I took too. LOL
    Last edited by bmcsteve; 08-19-2014 at 00:10. Reason: typo

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I noticed in one of the pics on this thread that someone had his pack inside the hammock up above his head. Is this what most people do? I have been pondering the, "what do I do with my stuff" question and that seems like a pretty good idea.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    On a related note, I am 6'4" 250 and was planning a HH clone for my first DIY Hammock before finding this thread. Is 10' sufficient? If I want to do the pack in the rack so to speak should I look at the 11? With THAT said, what is the resolution several people seemed to have with the longer hammocks and the foot boxes being too high?
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    WL big daddy
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    ucr's
    I am 6'1 and my brother is 6'4 we both find that an 11' hammock its much more comfortable for us. That is what I have been making the last few hammocks.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sadrian View Post
    I am 6'1 and my brother is 6'4 we both find that an 11' hammock its much more comfortable for us. That is what I have been making the last few hammocks.
    Sadrian, Have you made this design?

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    WL big daddy
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    ucr's
    I haven't. I just do a simple gathered end and use the warbonnet whipping with fronkey style nets. I like the no zipper approach and the hammocks seem plenty comfortable and are incredibly easy to make.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Hey guys. There are a few gaps in the plans. Maybe i'm having a brain fart but I just can't work it out.
    Other than the 2 OP guides is there a full "how-to" somewhere specifically for this one? I've read the comments page 1 - 17. Brain is kaplonk.

The zip between the skinny strip and body goes from end to end right?
    So the zip is in the end channel too?
    The body of the fabric and the shelf/footbox are different sizes (9' shelf/footbox=~108", body is 135"). Do you center the two?
    The bugnet is attached at the sides of both pieces well illustrated within the thread but what about the tips?

I've realised too late that the plans are a little off the typically accepted length (eg. typically 10ft hammock = 10' fabric between whipping points, 99.6" for 83% ridgeline). Note to future readers. 10' hammock here means 10' ridgeline. ish.
    Start the cutting again. 2nd time should be easy.

Haven't built this yet, but have been reading up in preperation....so I'll answer as best I can, I'm sure someone will correct me if I get something wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    Hey guys. There are a few gaps in the plans. Maybe i'm having a brain fart but I just can't work it out.
    Other than the 2 OP guides is there a full "how-to" somewhere specifically for this one? I've read the comments page 1 - 17. Brain is kaplonk.

The zip between the skinny strip and body goes from end to end right?

Yes,

So the zip is in the end channel too?

I would stop just before, and have the bug netting wrapped in the whipping.

The body of the fabric and the shelf/footbox are different sizes (9' shelf/footbox=~108", body is 135"). Do you center the two?

When allowing for the hemmed ends, and the angles / cat cut along that edge, the length of fabric that is sewn to the main body should be very close to equal. Since it is not a straight path sewn end to end, the length of the path actually sewn will be close to the hammock body length. (hope I explaned that clearly enough.... think walking a straight line between 2 points, vs zig zagging between same 2 points. Straight line is shorter.)

The bugnet is attached at the sides of both pieces well illustrated within the thread but what about the tips?

Held closed by whipping or suspension? On my first DIY, I left the netting long enough that I just tucked it under my suspension

I've realised too late that the plans are a little off the typically accepted length (eg. typically 10ft hammock = 10' fabric between whipping points, 99.6" for 83% ridgeline). Note to future readers. 10' hammock here means 10' ridgeline. ish.
    Start the cutting again. 2nd time should be easy.

Yes, that is something to note for sure....and can be misleading. The plans for the 9' (ridgeline) hammock, would otherwise be typically be referred to as a 11.25' hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast