Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Winter's here! Break out the Bridge Pod!

We had a couple of nights above 50° F. last week, and I had to vent the corners of my fitted UQ for the PBH to keep from sweating. (The UQ can keep me warm down to 32° F.) Finally, a colder night - about 24° F. last night, and I was ready. Two layers under me: the fitted UQ (goose down, 1.5" baffles) and the bottom layer of the Bridge Pod (goose down, 2.5" baffles). The top layer of the Bridge Pod bottom section has magnets that mate up with magnets in the bottom layer of the fitted UQ, so there's no gap between the quilts, but the bottom layer is suspended from the top, and doesn't doesn't compress it. The bottom section of the Bridge Pod uses the same geometry as the measured hammock shape, it's slightly larger to leave room for the down.
    Bottom Insulation Layers.png
    The top section of the Bridge Pod folds over the foot end of the hammock. It attaches to the bottom section with separating zippers and velcro. I have gone into the details of that elsewhere, I think. Here's what it looks like.
    Bridge Pod - head end view.jpg This is the head end view. I use a Leigh Lo TQ inside it.
    Bridge Pod - foot end view.jpg Here's the foot end view. I don't think I've used this setup any colder than 10° F., but I think it would go lower, and of course there's room for another UQ and/or down garments. Last night I was very warm, but suspected there was a lot of exhaled moisture on my TQ. At one point I thought I felt very tiny drops of water hitting my face, which didn't make sense with condensation (in my semi-awake state). When I got up to investigate I found it was snowflakes. I guess I need a tarp, even on the porch.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Next day update: 13° F. this morning; slept nice and warm. The white fabric draped over the spreader bar in the picture above is "Zorb". I draped it over my head last night and it seems to have caught most of the moisture I breathed out during the night. The thickness of the top insulation kept it out of contact with my face. Next project is a "head sock" to close the gap above the bridge pod, using 3 materials: a Zorb bib, maybe like Shug's, a mesh top vent, and walls of Pertex or Momentum (calendered fabric that wicks moisture to its outer (fuzzy) side, where it either evaporates or freezes, depending on ambient temperature.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    That definitely looks cozy! You should be able to enjoy all winter with that setup.

Charlotte

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mighty nice and some good testing in the WV chill.
    Looks really like it could induce some cozy slumber.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Did you make this, because I searched both "Bridge Pod" and "bottom Layers.com" and didn't come up with anything.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts