Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict

One UQ to rule them all...

As the temps are dropping, I'm looking for some UQ recommendations to help prepare the Blackbird for New England weather.

I have read some of the previous forums, and it seems there are many fine choices to pick from - my inner gear addict is excited about the prospects!

The downside... I'm not sure my marriage is ready to handle the financial outlay of acquiring the full assortment of wonderful UQs my heart desires.

So, I'm hoping to do the near impossible - to purchase a single UQ that will cover the non-summer months, that I can hopefully use near year round.

While I've enjoyed all season camping, I have very minimal experience with hammock camping. I like the idea of a full length, but am not sure how well that will attach.

I understand that this is a broad topic which will rely heavily on personal preferences, anecdotes and clever DIYers, but I'm eager to hear it all including, "you'll need at least two..."

Thank you for helping minimize the impact on my gear closet and bank account.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My suggestion is to look for a 3-season UQ. Since you aren't in a big hurry to tackle the frozen tundra of winter, a 3-season will do just fine. If you start feeling a bit froggy, you can always supplement with pads to get you into the cold stuff.

IMO, the Yetis are the finest underquilts on the market. I say this as a dead-log sleeper (I don't move around much) who sleeps on his back. Mobile sleepers tend to experience slippage from the Yetis when tossing and turning; good to keep in mind. Take a short pad with you for your legs/feet if you need it and you're golden.

Course, there are a whole slew of folks making underquilts these days and I haven't really heard about any bad ones. Just stick with proven technology and you'll be fine.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I agree 100% with the meateater.

I'm a side sleeper and I move around a lot in my sleep. I loved the Yeti, great quilt, but I kept popping it out of place. I went with a HammockGear.com Incubator (full length) with some extra down stuffed in it and I've been super happy since.

I'm currently running a winter incubator since I sold all my other gear to pay some bills...it was a little toasty, but it's easy to vent a little to compensate. It's friggen huge though being a winter incubator, made extra wide, and extra stuffing. I'm wishing for a 3-Season one right now. 3S, and some fleece clothing would easily get me down to 32F.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    and I'll agree with both of the above posters. (If that doesn't create more confusion...)

I have the 3-Season Yetti (w/ reflective liner) and used it during the 2010 Mt Rogers hang as my only UQ. Supplemented with pads and slept in layers of insulating fleece and I made it through the weekend where we had temps in the low teens, moderate winds, and 18" of snow. Slept through the 2 nights warm and never had a cold spot anywhere.

I now also have the Winter Incubator and agree that it can be vented to meet any cool/cold temps.

I am primarily a back sleeper in the hammock and a side sleeper in bed but I don't move too much. Knowing what I know now, I would go a full length winter UQ and vent as needed. There is more fiddling to be done with the Winter Incubator but once you have it dialed in, just leave it set there and you are good to go. With the Yetti, its already perfect out of the box, if you don't move too much. Either way, I can make do with either UQ in any cold weather temps easily to 25*, lower with the WI. A 1 shot UQ? .... have to say the full length HG Winter Incubator. This does not take into account weight penalties. If you are also looking to stay light. . . hands down, the Yetti.

“He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I tend to be a side- sometimes rotiserie-sleeper, prone to rolling around if that helps.

I have been very impressed with the quality of the Warbonnet products, but being 6'2", the Yeti seemed a bit small. I'm still tempted, but I'm leaning towards a full length. I figure I can always vent a full length, but there isn't much I can do to stretch a half length out.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you like synthetic,,Arrowhead makes a really fine full length New River UQ, that is warm down to 30 degrees or so.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I tend to be a side- sometimes rotiserie-sleeper, prone to rolling around if that helps.

I have been very impressed with the quality of the Warbonnet products, but being 6'2", the Yeti seemed a bit small. I'm still tempted, but I'm leaning towards a full length. I figure I can always vent a full length, but there isn't much I can do to stretch a half length out.
    As pointed out, Hammock Gear's partial UQs are a better fit if you're a mover and shaker. They are wider than the Yetis which gives the user much more room for error or motion.

Full length are great, but many don't need the additional protection and are willing to sacrifice it for reduced weight. I can't get my girl out of the house unless I have the SnugFit packed. Bear in mind, a partial length is going to be easier to vent. Full length quilts can be vented, but it's so easy with a partial that it ought to be illegal. For that reason alone, I think the partials are a better "universal" quilt; makes the seasons easier to adjust for in the middle of the night.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I like my Yeti. No fuss, just slap it on.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    As the temps are dropping, I'm looking for some UQ recommendations to help prepare the Blackbird for New England weather.

So, I'm hoping to do the near impossible - to purchase a single UQ that will cover the non-summer months, that I can hopefully use near year round.

While I've enjoyed all season camping, I have very minimal experience with hammock camping. I like the idea of a full length, but am not sure how well that will attach.
    Will you be carrying this on your back or in/on a vehicle? I moto camp and swear by the HG 3 season Incubator (though my next one will be custom wider...I am big). It attaches to my WBBB perfectly and simply, once the head end is sorted from the foot end (yes, there is a difference). In hotter conditions it slips to the side easily and if it gets colder it returns with very little fuss and all while inside the hammock. If colder is anticipated a space blanket and CCF pad can be used to bring the insulation factor up.

A single UQ eh? Good luck...

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I love my yeti... but dont listen to me... I'm a glorified Midgit. Pompous too
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast