Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Momentum for hammock body?

I read a post recently about thru-hiker bragging that the momentum .90 fabric has a tight weave that helps with the water repelling and down stopping properties.

Considering some (including myself) have made a hammock out of 1.1 ripstop, it made me wonder if Momentum could be used for the body of a hammock. Has anyone used this as a single layer for the hammock body?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have been wanting to try Mom90 for a hammock body for a long time. Maybe one day I will pony up the cash and try it out.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    it is probably strong enough, like 1.1, it won't be as durable as heavier (1.9) fabric and will wear out sooner.

the thing i hate about single layer 1.1 is it stretches alot more than 1.9. this results in a lay that IMO is noticeably less flat and having more shoulder squeeze.

something else to consider might be the ripstop that www.owfinc.com lists as 1.4 oz ripstop. it is a nice color of green and it's polyester (at least what they sent me was, even though it says nothing about it being polyester on their website) anyway, lighter than 1.9, but much less stretch than 1.1. i made a double layer with it and it is flatter and has less shoulder squeeze than any hammock i've made.

Maybe a double layer Zee Hammock of Momentum?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Maybe a double layer Zee Hammock of Momentum?
    That's the direction I have been leaning. Assuming that you were making a 10' long dual layer hammock, you are looking at almost $100 in fabric if it was 100% Mom90. You could do a hybrid hammock with Mom90 for the bottom layer, for weather protection, and standard 1.1oz for the inside.

BTW,

It also looks like th Mom90 has gone up in price. It's 13.59 per yard. I think it was 11.95 or 12.95 when I bought the material for my quilt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I feel the price there is a bit much ($100 vs. $7) considering the savings of only about 2 oz...that is why I was hoping someone would indicate that a single layer would work. I don't want to pay for even a single layer of this only to find out it won't work...

Images
    the weight savings for single layer m90 over single layer 1.1 would be almost none, probably less than an ounce weight savings.

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    That's the direction I have been leaning. Assuming that you were making a 10' long dual layer hammock, you are looking at almost $100 in fabric if it was 100% Mom90. You could do a hybrid hammock with Mom90 for the bottom layer, for weather protection, and standard 1.1oz for the inside.

BTW,

It also looks like th Mom90 has gone up in price. It's 13.59 per yard. I think it was 11.95 or 12.95 when I bought the material for my quilt.
    I'll bet you could buy Event for not much more than that, that might be cool (or warm).

Images
    I really like the feeling, but don't trust it with my heavier weight.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Mom90 would make great weather protection for the bottom of the hammock. The material's water resistance is where the fabric really shines; much better than most DWR treatments IMHO.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast