DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Simple hammock suspension and adjustable ridgeline

So I have been looking at forums and was trying to figure out a way to have something similar to WhoOpie-slings without actually purchasing a hollow cord like lash-it or zing-it and having to splice. I also wanted to have an adjustable ridgline for my hammock so i can easily set it for max comfort. Here's what I have figured out by a little time spent playing with my rope.

My idea was simple. The suspension had to be simple, meaning not anything more than rope and a couple of knots, and I wanted to use the items I already had.

I was browsing around the internet and found the trucker's hitch and decided that was what worked best for what I wanted. It made my suspension between my hammock and huggers easily adjustable. It's a very simple knot and it's easy to learn especially for a beginner hammocker like myself.

Secondly I wanted an adjustable ridgeline so I could find my "sweet spot" for hang. When I went on my first hang with my diy, I had some slight comfort issues so i wanted to be able to tweak my suspension to get that "just right" feeling. (yes I followed the 83% rule to a "t")

I tried a prusik looped back onto the main line and it was a little slippery and I didn't trust it. I decided to see if I could modify it a little and ended up with a reversed taut-line hitch kind of knot. It worked really well but I was curious if it had been done before. So I did some research and ran across the taut-line hitch. It was similar so I decided to give that one a go. It worked like it was supposed to but I didn't trust it either so I modified it. I will post pictures tomorrow after I test it out but it is basically just one extra loop through(in the knot) and I tied a quick granny knot to add an extra safety bubble. I have not actually hung in it yet but I almost broke my door in my apartment tugging on the suspension to test for failure strength today. More to follow tomorrow.

Disclaimer: I hope this thread will help someone in the future. It took a lot of thinking to figure this out and I want to make it easier for noobs like me in the future.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    adding a wrap or two to prussic and tautline hitches is an old and wonderful trick. ;-) It's mandatory with the newer slipperier ropes. Ditto trucker hitches. you might want to mark your ridge line with tape or a marker so you can track where you adjust it to.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I was already thinking that route, maybe marking at 1inch increments with permanent marker starting at the sweet spot and working it both directions. Plus it will let me know wen my ridgeline slips( if it even will). At any rate I am glad to know that what I did to the knot is a normal thing to do. I think I am going to like this system.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 &amp; 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    It is surprising how few knots you really need. The slippery halfhitch, marlin spike hitch, and the taut line/prussic are about it. Yes, there are other knots, but for hammock hanging those are the ones that give me all the flexibilty and adjustability I need.

[Oh, look, now I am a "Senior member".]

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I'm kind of surprised myself with the few knots I need to know in order to have versatility while hammocking. All of those you just named are exactly what my setup now has, plus the larkshead. I know that splicing is an addiction for some, but I don't understand the hype, that is the main reason why I started exploring the different types of knots. If there is some true benefit I might switch over but I don't see the need, especially since I am a car camper mostly and not a through-hiker, although I hope to do the AT someday as it has been a dream of mine for years now.

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Well, a lot of us who hang around here are complete gear junkies. If its new and shiny, we want it! Seriously though, you're right. If you are decent at tying rope and can rely on your skill, do it! It will save you money.

I know for some it's a weight savings thing. Knots derate the strength of rope more than splices and you end up needing a heavier duty material. For others, the knots are just a hassle on the trail, or like me you memorize your knots and promptly forget about half of them when its time to set camp...but that's another story. Plus, the webbing sytems and certain permutations of the whoopie system are nice for winter camping when dexterity is limited by gloves or mittens.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    A limit in dexterity I can understand but I don't have anything to worry about as far as weather is concerned for atleast 4 years thank goodness. This is the second time this week you have answered a question of mine with a clear consice answer. Thank you lympho and next time I have a question I'll just msg you lol, naah not really, need to keep it public so others may learn as well...

-hang

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    With the UHMWPE lines used here, the problem of derating of line strength might be overcome taditionally: with larger line. Since larger line implies heavier line, burden and vanity reduces the prevalence of that solution.

No, the greater real problems are that very small hi-tech single braid fiber lines are harder to tie knots in; some will slip, others will not hold, and others will be difficult-to-impossible to untie.

As everyone knows the long loops with constrictors placed in them, whoopie slings, take care of this.

All implicit smilies implied.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Your suspension can be either inexpensive, simple or easy to use. Pick 2 lol. the simplest ive used is the whoopies and straps, run them around the tree and adjust the whoopies. simple.

also, both versions of the black bird suspensions are easy, but can be made super easy with the addition of the elephant trunks from smart outdoors (no toggles!) or the straps which are also easy, where you just pull the strap tight.
    Last edited by default; 09-07-2011 at 17:50.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I tried the truckers hitch support last weekend and had some issues with slippage. Although I didn't end up with my butt on the ground it did concern me. I have since decided and tested out modified prusiks and get no slippage at all. I definitely like my setup that I have now. It's simple and adjustable, exactly what I wanted/needed.

• + New Posts