Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

question for Te-Wa owners, ESP those in the south

mods, this is for both TQ's & UQ's, so i put it here since there wasnt one place that covered both

i emailed and talked to mike at Te-Wa and he gave me some great advice, and im not doubting him but i wanted to know what "real world" users think. heres the gist:

since im a little ways off from being able to afford a set of quilts, im studying up.

im in south carolina, and cant say im going to be doing a ton of camping in the winter, but even if i did it rarely ever gets down to under 30. i prefer to sleep in as little as possible (ie, boxers) for comfort, so im trying to factor that in too.

i would be using any set of quilts with either an ENO DN or a WBBB 1.7DL and a superfly with doors for full coverage. I will not be using a pad, unless its for the foot box. Because i wont be able to have a quilt for every situation, i need a set for all situation.

he suggested a 3 season UQ and a summer TQ, since the UQ will help keep you warmer. Ive not heard that, but it makes sence.

The ONLY thing im not a fan of with Te-Wa is the shiny material, but thats it. and it seems that just about everyones got the same thing going on.

Does all that sound like a good setup, or should i think more of both being summer weight. the price difference isnt too terrible with these, so im probably being paranoid. i guess i could always vent either way.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Te-Wa makes superb gear. I have one of his winter uq's that has been just great.

If you're going to camp more than a couple of times in winter, I'd go with both in 3 season. That's the most versatile option. But, if you're sure that you won't camp below the rating of a summer TQ...you can save both money and bulk.

That's how I'd look at it in your place.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Mike is very smart at this whole hanging thing. His advice is usually correct. The advice about the UQ providing the most warmth is spot on.

If you're sticking with the temps you mention, and you are an "average" sleeper (not too warm / not too cold), then you SHOULD be fine.

The only thing that bothers me is the Summer TQ @ 30*, wearing only boxers. I consider myself fairly average sleeper, but I think I'd want a warmer TQ if I wasn't wearing supplemental insulation - such as a puffy jacket. YMMV.
    Last edited by Otter1; 09-03-2011 at 20:01.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    thats what i was thinking there funny. i dont distrust mike at all, but i know MOST people have other layers. i just cant seem to get comfortable when wearing much, and i think a jacket will be much to uncomfortable. not to mention the only jacket i have is a leather motorcycle jacket that wont do well in a hammock, lol.

so i figure im taking off some of any quilts ratings just because i dont have layers. i usually put off a ton of heat in bed, and i prefer the room to be ice cold and the blankets to be nice and warm. no idea what that means tho.

i think i may end up erring on the side of caution and rocking the 3 season on both, but i worry the tq would be too warm in the summer months.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I agree with using the 3 season under quilt for your situation. If the conditions are too warm for any under quilt the solution is simple - loosen the quilt suspension to allow air gaps as needed. So, with a 3 season under quilt you still have a very versatile quilt.

I also agree with the summer top quilt, as you won't be camping below freezing. You can always augment a top quilt with additional clothing, such as a down jacket. The additional clothing won't help the under side much because you are compressing it, but it will totally add to your insulation on top.

By using a summer top quilt, which sounds like what you will need the majority of the time, you won't be lugging the extra weight and bulk of a 3 season top quilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    A 3S TQ will definitely be too hot in Charleston-area summers!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    works for me, now thats settled. saves me $35 and 4oz, lol. it amazes me that just 4oz makes that much difference.

Images
    i have the te-wa winter coat (different name now) UQ. had it to single digits and up to 50 with no problems. the 2/3 quilt has a learning curve to it, but works great. for top quilts i use JRB wareable ones. got 3 so it depends on the weather the one i take.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    i figure the 40* tq will work, and if i need ill add my PLTQ

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    im from your neck of the woods and id say go three season. if your going to hang near the water this winter it will still be pretty cold. it will be around 30 degrees and like you I like to sleep in just my boxers. so id rather pay a little more and wear less.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts