Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Question Question caused by change over to whoopies

Hey all,

I now have whoopies on one of my Expeditions and this has caused a question for me. When the weather is nice I find using the stock clips on the HH suspension perfect for my tarp and also the lightest weight by far (since they are there and I don't need extra cord clips etc.....). So the questions are as follows. First I tried putting the prusiks with clips, from my original suspension, on the whoopies but they slip/end up on top of the buries and as such don't work to well. Second anybody else out there already find a fix? Will I need to make new loops for the clips/prusiks to make it work on the slippery new whoopies?

I wouldn't care too much but I am going to put whoopies on the scouts we got for our nephews and, since they are new/seldom hangers, I would like to keep this really simple for them.

Thanks in advance

huauqui

PS I use a separate line with carabiners and dutch clips when things look dicey or I am unsure. I use the stock stuff for shade and the like when hanging around the yard or when I am sure the weather is gonna be nice (quick night out because it's too nice for the son and I to sleep inside etc......).
    Last edited by huauqui; 09-23-2011 at 09:15. Reason: added info

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    It might be simpler to rig a seperate ridgeline for their tarps...or do like I do and just use the tie offs on the ends of the tarps to tie directly to your trees on either side, and skip a tarp ridgeline at all. So basically I don't use those hooks/prussics anymore.

I adjust the tension on the tarp with Fig 9s I've attached to my end lines...so it's just a matter of hanging one end of the tarp to a tree...hang the other, adjust the tension with the 9s, and then string up the hammock.

It can help them to get in the practice of hanging the tarp FIRST, so that they're used to doing it that way and it can make poor weather setup go much smoother that way.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Prussic's need line that is smaller than the main line they slide on and the stock Hennessey Prussic's were a little thick on my setup. Amsteel *is* slippery stuff. I find some lines work better if you give them a good tug to set them when using a Prussic/Amsteel combo and my Prussic's have three wraps.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    It might be simpler to rig a seperate ridgeline for their tarps...or do like I do and just use the tie offs on the ends of the tarps to tie directly to your trees on either side, and skip a tarp ridgeline at all. So basically I don't use those hooks/prussics anymore.

I adjust the tension on the tarp with Fig 9s I've attached to my end lines...so it's just a matter of hanging one end of the tarp to a tree...hang the other, adjust the tension with the 9s, and then string up the hammock.

It can help them to get in the practice of hanging the tarp FIRST, so that they're used to doing it that way and it can make poor weather setup go much smoother that way.
    Owl, thanks for the information. I agree a separate ridge line is best and except for the odd time in the yard where I just use the tarp to keep bird poo of my face I use one. In those cases I just quickly snap the tarp onto the old hennessy hooks. I can live without that convenience and spend the extra 30 seconds to set the separate ridge line.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Prussic's need line that is smaller than the main line they slide on and the stock Hennessey Prussic's were a little thick on my setup. Amsteel *is* slippery stuff. I find some lines work better if you give them a good tug to set them when using a Prussic/Amsteel combo and my Prussic's have three wraps.
    Dale, thanks for the input on the prusiks that may solve the whole issue for me. I appreciate it.

I understand the best route for myself and my nephews is a separate tarp line so with that in mind I have another noob question. How do you deal with the tarp line when you are hanging from trees 25 feet apart? The hammock straps are 9+ feet off the ground and the tarp ends up tied about 5 feet off the ground and with the hang of the hammock the tarp ends actually run past the strap for the hammock and it inter-fears with the tarp.

Just wondering.

Thanks again guys I do appreciate you all taking the time to answer this noob questions.

huauqui

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    I was just going to post about the exact same thing, huauqui. Sounds like I need to start reading threads about tarp ridgelines. I think a lot of people are attaching tarps to different point than the tree straps.

The Hennessy dohickeys are so small and helpful and now that I've gone with whoopie conversion I don't want to have to add back a lot of complexity or weight for the tarp suspension.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    shhQuiet, sounds like you might be a librarian

All kidding aside this link is the one I found most helpful here
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16945

Hope that helps you as much as it did me.

Great information here just takes some real digging sometimes to find it.

Huauqui

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by huauqui View Post

I understand the best route for myself and my nephews is a separate tarp line so with that in mind I have another noob question. How do you deal with the tarp line when you are hanging from trees 25 feet apart? The hammock straps are 9+ feet off the ground and the tarp ends up tied about 5 feet off the ground and with the hang of the hammock the tarp ends actually run past the strap for the hammock and it inter-fears with the tarp.

Just wondering.

Thanks again guys I do appreciate you all taking the time to answer this noob questions.

huauqui
    I think I understand what you mean. I have never hung from trees quite that far apart though.

Can you maybe try hanging with the suspension closer to 20 than 35 degrees. Plus raise the tarp just a bit so that when you are in it the suspension isnt pressed against the edges of the tarp?

Hehe, or maybe just switch out the ridge line for 1/4" amsteel, shorten it a couple inches and crank that sucker to 5 degrees and not have to worry about the tarp/suspension issue. Apparently some people find the hang less comfortable that way though.
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

• + New Posts