Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    hmm now i am even more worried about using down because i do sweat in my sleep sometimes alot. so if the down gets wet but not frozen how well does down dryout vs the synthetic

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    Down from Hammockgear pre packed anyway you want it 6.50x12oz = $78 with shipping

if you shop around you will find good deals ... don't get your down from big bow stores ... get it from a vendor you will get a better price
    King size down comforters can be had at bargin sites for around $150. I have had my eye on one that is 50oz of 750FP, 100% syberian goose down. That's is the best deal I've found on down. That should be enough to make 2 matched sets of T&Bquilts.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Nice idea, but it would be heavy and wouldn't fluff back to full loft like down. Compress wool tightly and it's called felt! It's all about compressing for travel and getting the full loft back when unpacked. After all these years of experimenting and research, down is still the benchmark.
    First of all, thank you, sometimes I'm so bright my mom calls me son.

Second, I'm not saying it isn't without it's flaws. However, I have used wool pillows made with this stuff exclusively for the past 15 years. I can say from experience, that a wool pillow cared for properly will last about 4-5years of regular daily/nightly use. Of course a pillow doesn't get abused quite like a sleeping bag.
    I do personally feel that the idea warrents some R&D. Maybe, I'll get around to that one day, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Do a search on overstock .com for 700 or 800 fill down king size pillows. Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal for one in the $25-35 range. They will have between 16-20 oz in them.

Down has benefits and drawbacks just like every other insulation out there. You can find a way to insulate yourself as cheaply or as expensive as you wish, depending on what you are willing to sacrifice. Make a list of what characteristics are really important to you (bulk / price / etc) and what you are trying to do with the insulation (wet weather camping / really cold / pack light / temperature range). It will help you narrow down the possibilities.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Wilderness Logics sells a bunch of down.
    they are a great source for diy and gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Big Turtle,

You've received good advice in all these posts, maybe so much it's overwhelming. The best overview is DaleW's post #6. Commit it to memory; it will help you down the road.

My 2 cents: Are you planning to DIY or buy? You do well to consider specific material costs in either case, but your final $ outlay will depend on what you plan to do. In either case, I suggest you build or buy your first quilt (top or bottom) with a moderately priced synthetic insulation. Down is best, but "the perfect is the enemy of the good." I don't suggest Insultex, because it works differently from down or synthetic, and how you use it can affect the results. If you use a synthetic insulation, you will learn something about how down might do the same job better (or lighter), but synthetic insulation may do the job just fine.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTurtle View Post
    hmm now i am even more worried about using down because i do sweat in my sleep sometimes alot. so if the down gets wet but not frozen how well does down dryout vs the synthetic
    Many hikers will spread their down gear out to dry on while on breaks. That is good on sunny days, in the Sierra or Colorado, but a glimmer of a dream in the Olympics and the Cascades, unless it is mid-August, and sometimes, maybe.

Down clumps when wet, making it very hard to dry if you don't have a way to tumble it. I use synthetic bags and clothing for that reason. You can wring them out and still get some insulation value and of the gods are smiling, your body heat will drive out some of the moisture.

More ventilation and less insulation may help with your night sweats. I think a lot of guys experience that because bedroom temperature and bedding are dictated by the iceberg on the other side of the bed

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    First of all, thank you, sometimes I'm so bright my mom calls me son.

Second, I'm not saying it isn't without it's flaws. However, I have used wool pillows made with this stuff exclusively for the past 15 years. I can say from experience, that a wool pillow cared for properly will last about 4-5years of regular daily/nightly use. Of course a pillow doesn't get abused quite like a sleeping bag.
    I do personally feel that the idea warrents some R&D. Maybe, I'll get around to that one day, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
    You would get more warmth by cuddling up with the whole sheep. BAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

We've been using wool products for a long, long time and it has it's strengths, but compressible high-loft, low weight insulation it is not.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    .....I think a lot of guys experience that because bedroom temperature and bedding are dictated by the iceberg on the other side of the bed
    Let me offer some advice. Heated mattress pad. With dual temperature controls. Makes a world of difference if one of you is hot and the other stays bundled up from September to May.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    well if down is that reasonable then i might just make a tq and uq i did some research on how some of you made yours the question i keep commin up with is what is with the mesh tunnels you fill with down that you put inside the regular tunnels you make do you need these and what is the main reason for them.
    and to answer one of yall ? i mostly car camp only because lack of places to camp other ways

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast